Accuplacer is a College Board test that is used to demonstrate that a student is college and career ready. Students identified as potentially requiring remediation in college courses in order to be successful must take the test based on cut scores set by the Indiana Department of Education. In addition, Ivy Tech also uses Accuplacer for students to qualify to take different courses, determine the need for a remedial class before entering the standard level course, or to qualify for dual credit courses within a student’s high school.
- According to Indiana DOE’s guidance:
- IC 21-18.5-4-8.5 stipulates that students who graduate in 2015 or after and who receive general diplomas with evidence-based waivers are disqualified from receiving state scholarships, grants, or assistance administered by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education unless the student passes a college- and career-readiness assessment.
- IC 20-32-9 required the development of guidelines to assist secondary schools in identifying students who are likely to require remedial work at postsecondary institutions or workforce training programs after graduation from high school. The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) works in collaboration with the Indiana Commission for Higher Education (ICHE), Indiana Department of Workforce Development (IDWD) to continually develop criteria regarding the identification of the students that need to take the college- and career-readiness assessment, which are then taken to the State Board of Education (SBOE) for approval. Once the criteria is finalized and approved it will be disseminated to Indiana high schools.
- What I have learned
- What I have learned
- Chapter 8 of the Indiana Assessment Program Manual address Accuplacer in greater detail here
- Further guidance, ordering, and resource information is available from the Indiana DOE here, although some links are outdated.
- Accuplacer website can be accessed here
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on March 1, 2017.
- March 1, 2017 @ 15:43:55
- August 7, 2016 @ 23:38:04
This post was created by QRST ContentManager on August 7, 2016.