Canvas is an online platform for communicating with students and their families.
- Bullet 1
- Bullet 2
- We use it to put a lot of the info on there that we never get a chance to talk with students about (at least not in a classroom setting). This includes writing a resume, job search resources, college application info, financial aid info, and I upload our guidance resources that are normally on paper. I also use it for announcements and messaging groups of students. Ours is just divided into classrooms by grade level.
- Our counseling office began utilizing Canvas a couple years ago mainly because it’s so hard to find time to get into classrooms. It’s helpful in not only providing lessons but also sharing resources. We developed mini video lessons and included them in modules on Canvas. We add items throughout the year (as we address them with students). We have a class for each grade level. For example, we present suicide awareness/prevention in the classroom with 7th and 8th graders then share the information and resources on their Canvas class. Additionally, we send out announcements and reminders for things like high school scheduling, etc. Parents also have access to the courses which helps with communication on activities coming from the counseling office. At the start of each year, we simply “copy” the Canvas course and only “publish” what is necessary. Throughout the year, we just continue to make items available for the students at the appropriate time, so we are not recreating the wheel every year. It’s really convenient. Pics in the resources.
Our guidance department uses Canvas to create Announcement Courses by Graduation Year.We currently have courses for Class of 2019 – Class of 2022. Some teachers have requested access to these courses as well, so they post things on there, but we strictly use it for announcements. You don’t have to re-create them every year. Just update the student list to include new students.We also have a Scholarship Information Page – Since you can clone courses, I just re-create it and add the new seniors every year. It is so much easier than using our school’s website.
- Samples of a Canvas counseling course:
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on August 19, 2018.
- August 19, 2018 @ 02:19:59
- August 6, 2016 @ 00:03:00
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 6, 2016.