While this is under the purview of special education, counselors are often called upon to serve on the case conference committee and we strive to serve all of our students regardless of ability. So a knowledge of disabilities that impact our students is important.
- We need to understand parent rights regarding access to educational experiences so that we can properly advocate for students.
- March is Disability Awareness Month and a great time to educate our students on respectful treatment of others across abilities.
- When you have a student with a unique disability, work closely with the family and follow their lead on how best to educate their classmates on their condition.
- When speaking to or about people with disabilities, always consider the person first.
- Governors Council for People with Disabilities http://www.in.gov/gpcpd/
- IDOE guidelines for parental disputes http://www.doe.in.gov/specialed/special-education-due-process
- Create your own disability awareness event Grade 2 Disability awareness
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on February 21, 2017.
- February 21, 2017 @ 20:57:06
- August 7, 2016 @ 18:55:24
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 7, 2016.