To cultivate and maintain a healthy counseling relationship, knowing your professional boundaries is essential. Our professional code of ethics helps to guide our professional boundaries as school counselors.
- School counselors avoid dual relationships that may cause harm to their students.
- Function within the boundaries of personal competence. Be aware of personal skill levels and limitations.
- Establishing boundaries is an important competency.
- Boundaries delineate personal and professional roles.
- Boundaries are essential to student and school counselor safety.
- Professional relationships with students exist for their benefit.
- When unsure of whether you are crossing your professional boundaries, ask yourself: “Whose needs are being met in this relationship, my student’s or my own?”
- “Boundaries define the helping pathway for patients and professionals and are integral to professional effectiveness.” (Everett and Gallop, 2001)
- Crossing a boundary can become harmful to the student. It can be difficult to assess when harm is caused.
- Violations of professional boundaries can include: disclosure of confidential information, conflicts of interest, exploitative relationships, multiple or non-sexual dual relationships, and others.
- What I have learned
- What I have learned
- Boundaries in Counseling PPT
- ASCA Ethical Standards, see Section A.5. Dual Relationships and Managing Boundaries
- ASCA Ethical Tips for School Counselors: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/school-counselors-members/legal-ethical/ethical-tips-for-school-counselors
- Boundary Issues in Counseling: https://www.counseling.org/Publications/FrontMatter/78090-FM.PDF
- Necessary Boundaries for a Healthy Counseling Relationship: https://vantagepointrecovery.com/healthy-counseling-relationship/
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on May 18, 2018.
- May 18, 2018 @ 20:17:26
- May 18, 2018 @ 20:12:04
- August 7, 2016 @ 19:52:11
This post was created by EFGH ContentManager on August 7, 2016.