The Indiana General Assembly recently passed legislation requiring all school corporations to offer Ethnic Studies and Indiana Studies as a (1) semester elective course in its high school curriculum at least once every school year. The Ethnic Studies and Racial Groups bill (SEA 337) was introduced to provide opportunities to broaden students’ perspectives concerning lifestyles and cultural patterns of ethnic and racial groups in the United States.
Beginning after July 1, 2017, all school corporations, charter schools, and accredited nonpublic schools shall “offer the study of ethnic studies and racial groups as a (1) semester elective course in its high school curriculum at least once every school year. The course may be offered by the school corporation, charter school, or accredited nonpublic school through a course access program administered by the department.” (IC 20-30-5-7) Schools may use the Ethnic Studies course (1516) to meet this obligation.
Ethnic Studies provides opportunities to broaden students’ perspectives concerning lifestyles and cultural patterns of ethnic groups in the United States. This course will either focus on a particular ethnic group or groups, or use a comparative approach to the study of patterns of cultural development, immigration, and assimilation, as well as the contributions of specific ethnic or cultural groups. The course may also include analysis of the political impact of ethnic diversity in the United States.
- Recommended Grade Level: none
- Recommended Prerequisites: none
- Credits: 1 semester course, 1 credit
- Counts as an Elective for all diplomas
- Bullet 1
- Bullet 2
- Ethnic Studies Course offerings (Counselor Talk Responses, Oct. 2017)
- Ethnic Studies can be found under Social Studies: https://www.doe.in.gov/sites/
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on June 7, 2018 @ 13:13:02
- Mary on June 5, 2018 @ 19:28:55
- Kelly on January 26, 2018 @ 20:22:41
- Kelly on January 26, 2018 @ 20:22:17
- Kelly on October 19, 2017 @ 19:00:04
- Kelly on October 19, 2017 @ 18:21:34
- Kelly on October 19, 2017 @ 18:16:30
This post was created by EFGH ContentManager on October 19, 2017.