Portfolios are what educators refer to as “performance-based assessments,” as opposed to standardized assessments that mostly test a student’s knowledge by asking them to answer specific questions, and which often have just a right or wrong answer. A Career Portfolio is a tool for students to help them think through and plan for their future education and career. Career Portfolios can be either electronic or paper and pencil. A high school portfolio is a collection of materials from a student’s high school career that demonstrates their academic growth and maturity, accomplishments, and their career/workforce readiness.
- Portfolios typically consist of a collection of a student’s work from core classes like history, science and English.
- Portfolios, which can consist of a compilation of a student’s work or an in-depth research project, can help prepare students for college.
- There is a portfolio feature in the Indiana Career Explorer (INCE) system, which is free for students in 6th-12th grade. This portfolio feature replaced the old paper folders that used to be provided by Learn More/Commission for Higher Education (CHE). The portfolio is also easily updated. One unique feature to this electronic/on-line portfolio is the Indiana Graduation Plan (IGP) which was updated and is also available in the INCE system. Each student portfolio can be viewed through your school’s Administrative Database Management System (ADMS).
- Many schools across the state are using the 6-12 grade Indiana Career Explorer (INCE) system to create electronic portfolios for a variety of reasons. The INCE system is paid for by the Indiana DWD and is offered at no cost. System training is available and also offered at no cost. INCE can be used for creating electronic portfolios for many reasons, including:
Tracking Indiana Graduation Pathway requirements
For the Special Education Transition Plan
As a final product for a course like Preparing for College and Careers (PCC)
As a tool to seek out internships and prepare for employment
There are choices within the INCE system for portfolios:
The e-Profile (an electronic or “digital” portfolio”)
Also the Indiana Graduation Plan
All the tools can be viewed by counselors, teachers, administrators, etc., through the administrative side of the system.
- Indiana Career Explorer
- Sample career portfolio for middle school
- Sample high school portfolio
- Sample career portfolio assignment template
- Sample high school student digital portfolio
- Sample high school senior college/career portfolio using Naviance
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on March 15, 2021 @ 11:07:16
- Kelly on March 15, 2021 @ 11:03:06
- Kelly on May 29, 2018 @ 20:53:59
- Mary on March 14, 2018 @ 14:58:58
- Mary on March 14, 2018 @ 14:57:24
- Heather on August 7, 2016 @ 22:17:00
This post was created by MNOP ContentManager on August 7, 2016.