All Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) offices will be closed today, Friday, July 3, in observance of the Fourth of July holiday.
COVID-19 Updates and Guidance
COVID-19 Communications Update
Important IN-CLASS Update Information
IDOE is committed to continuously updating the IN-CLASS Considerations as the fluid nature of COVID-19 influences guidance. Updates are highlighted with a change log in the back of the document located here. Please contact Holly Stachler with questions.
IN-CLASS English Learner Considerations Meeting Next Week
The following addendum provides guidance and recommendations for schools addressing the needs of English learners and their families related to school re-entry. IDOE’s EL team will be discussing these considerations with EL administrators and leaders during next week’s EL Leadership meeting. The virtual meeting will be held on Wednesday, July 8, at 10:00 a.m. (EST). Access the webinar via the information found here. Reach out to your local educational agencies (LEA’s) EL specialist with any questions.
Governors Emergency Education Relief (GEER) Fund and Equitable Services
The Governor’s Office has released additional details about Indiana’s Governor Emergency Relief (GEER) Fund. A collaborative application is encouraged (due July 17) which includes multiple educational entities with non-public schools (NPSs) included. Per Section 18005 of the CARES Act, an LEA is required to provide Equitable Services if applying for this grant; thus LEAs should follow the Guidance for GEER’s Equitable Services for including NPSs in this process. Additionally, a NPS or group of NPSs can apply directly for the GEER grant through a named public fiscal agent, but will have to choose one method of application.
Legislative Updates and Guidance
IDOE continues to provide clear and timely guidance related to bills passed during the 2020 legislative session. Find a curation of all 2020 legislative guidance here.
Offie of School Building Physical Security and Safety
Secured School Safety Grant
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security has released the Notice of Funding Opportunity for the FY 2021 Indiana Secured School Safety Grant. Applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. EDT on July 31. Additional information is available here.
Important School Safety Reminders
As school returns, there are important reminders concerning beginning of year activities, including drills and emergency plan certification. Additional information can be found here.
New Department Newsletters Coming Soon
All IDOE Newsletters Available in One Convenient Location
Additional newsletters from the Office of Teaching and Learning are launching in July and August. Please sign up to receive the Computer Science (#CSforIN) and the STEM (#HoosierSTEM) newsletters to stay up-to-date.
As a reminder, all IDOE newsletters are available in one convenient location.
Office of Accountability
2020-2021 Policy for 180 Instructional Day Waiver Request
Please read this memo reminding schools about the process for requesting Instructional Day Waivers, and indicating how COVID-19- related school closures will be handled in light of this policy.
2018 Grad Rate Five-Year Audit
IDOE will again be conducting a voluntary audit of the 2018 five-year graduation rate. Please read this memo for additional information.
Submission of 2020-2021 School Calendars
Office of Student Assessment
ISTEP+ Window Update
IDOE delivered updated guidance to the State Board of Education for approval during the meeting scheduled on July 8. Indiana is required to deliver an assessment in high school during 2020-2021 for accountability. As such, the ISTEP+ Spring 2021 Assessment is recommended to fulfill this purpose. Confirmation of any outcomes following State Board action will be noted in upcoming communications.
Coming Soon! Tools for Teachers
IDOE is collaborating with Smarter Balanced on a formative resource being deployed to all Indiana teachers this fall. Tools for Teachers serves as a vetted repository of content to support teaching and learning. Details on training for corporation and school leaders will be disseminated later this month.
Office of Academics / Leadership and Innovation
Staff Performance Evaluation Plans
Please click here for information regarding submission of the 2020-2021 Staff Performance Evaluation Plan. The submission due date is September 15.
Calling all Teacher Leaders
Teacher leaders are invited to join the Office of Leadership and Innovation and other teacher leaders from across the state in a collaborative book reading opportunity titled, “Collaborative Conversations Focused on Adventures in Teacher Leadership…for Every Teacher.” Learn more and register here by July 16.
Release of RISE 3.0 Evaluation Model Plan
The RISE evaluation model plan was revised in collaboration with Indiana teachers and administrators to align with House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1002 (2020). More details can be found here and on the IDOE evaluation homepage.
Guidance on Hiring J Visa Visiting Teachers
The hiring of Visiting Teachers through the J Visa program is temporarily suspended (through December 31) pursuant to the Presidential Proclamation found here. Indiana schools who have started working with visiting teacher programs can contact the J Visa sponsor or Rebecca Estes with questions.
Office of Academics / Special Education
Required Course for Indiana IEP Users Now Available
A Moodle course outlining the Indiana IEP (IIEP) Accommodations page is now available (course name: IIEP Accommodations). This course is mandatory for all IIEP users and must be completed by September 30. For instructions on how to enroll in the course, please click here.
Office of Academics / Teaching and Learning
Computer Science Education
STEM School Certification
IDOE is pleased to announce the first cohort of schools to be recertified as STEM Schools. These schools completed the rigorous application process to establish their designation. IDOE is very proud of the hard work done by these schools to further STEM education and be a model for other schools across Indiana. A map and list of these STEM Certified Schools can be found here.
Seeking K-12 Science Educators
IDOE, in collaboration with the Hoosier Association of Science Teachers, Inc., is continuing work on Phase II of the Science Framework. Phase II will focus on identifying and implementing science and engineering process standards. IDOE is looking for science educators to share their expertise in this process. Interested K-12 educators should complete this form. For questions regarding the Science Framework or participation, please contact Emily Bruning.
USDOE Rural Tech Project Competition
The USDOE has announced a competition to advance student-centered technology education in rural communities. The Rural Tech Project will award up to five awards of $100,000 each for local educational agencies to develop competency-based, distance learning programs. Please find additional information here.
Office of Academics / Title Grants
IDOE Response to USED IFR
The U.S. Department of Education (USED) published an interim final rule on Thursday, June 26, with the purpose of instituting rulemaking to mandate how equitable services occur with the ESSER funds under the CARES Act. Please review this memo for instructions for how LEAs need to proceed. Questions may be sent to Andrew Mazur.
Latch Key Expectations
In light of COVID-19, Under IC 20-26-5-2, schools are required to conduct a latch key program for children who attend (either in person or virtually) kindergarten through grade 6. To the extent students are expected to attend school (either in person or virtually) on a given day and the school is offering instruction, the school should also offer a latch key program. This is true regardless of whether students are attending in person or virtually under a hybrid model.
For additional information, best practices in provision of latch key programs, and waiver forms and requirements, please visit this website and refer to this guidance document. All waiver forms and questions should be emailed to Cole Dietrich.
High Ability Program (HAP) Grant Allocations and Application Released
The State of Indiana has experienced budget shortfalls due to COVID-19. This has resulted in a reduction to the High Ability Program statewide allocation. IDOE has worked to ensure all possible funds of the remaining budget are distributed to local educational agencies (LEAs). However, due to this budget reduction and the addition of all Public LEAs in the formula for distribution, each LEA’s allocation has been reduced. Fiscal year 2021 HAP Grant allocations were sent to LEA superintendents this week along with grant guidance and application (due August 31).
Non-Public School-Centered INtelligrants Virtual Training
On July 27, IDOE will be offering a virtual training opportunity on the new INtelligrants e-grants management system. The session will be held from 2:30-3:30 p.m. (EST) using Microsoft Teams. The training will be available here. It is suggested that those interested in the July 27 session watch any videos pertaining to the Consolidated Application prior to the training to prepare for the Non-Public Section.
Title IV Newsletter Includes Updates on INtelligrants and More
Check out the newly released Title IV Newsletter. This month’s newsletter covers everything from newly-awarded Innovation Grants, to updates and information on INtelligrants, to how the approved EdFlex waiver affects Title IV and much more. Click here to access the newsletter.
Office of Information Technology
Guidance for Accurate Tracking of Student Attendance from the Beginning of the 2020-2021 School Year
Schools should accurately track daily student attendance from the start of the 2020-2021 school year through the local Student Information System (SIS). The SIS will be used to submit all daily student attendance records for the 2020-2021 school year to IDOE through the Data Exchange. The Data Exchange will provide attendance codes to assist in reporting student attendance data more accurately. Read the full memo here.
Getting Started with Data Exchange Video
IDOE will begin implementation of the Data Exchange System in the upcoming 2020-2021 school year. A training video has been released to help LEAs prepare for the new system. The training video includes information on the Ed-Fi data standard, the Data Exchange System, Roles within Data Exchange, and guidance on how to prepare for implementation. The training video can be found here. IDOE will collect the Non-Certified Employees (NE), Attendance (AT), and Calendar (CL) information via Data Exchange next year. More information about implementation can be found here.
Guidance for Collecting Data on Home Internet Access
Indiana schools are urged to collect information about home Internet access through the student information system (SIS) during the student registration process. Please read the attached memo for guidance on what data elements to collect and Indiana’s alignment with national data collection efforts.
Retirement of Compass
As part of modernizing agency data systems, IDOE is retiring Compass. The launch of INview, the platform replacing Compass, was announced earlier this year. Details regarding INview and the retirement plan for Compass are available here.
Please Review Draft Average Daily Membership (ADM) and Course Completion Report
Two weeks ago schools received e-mails with access to a preliminary report regarding ADM and Course Completion. This new report will provide the public with information about the relationship between ADM funding and course completion. Specifically, IDOE must prepare a report for the 2019-2020 school year by December 1, 2020, for each school corporation, charter, and choice school detailing fall and spring ADM, enrollment numbers, the number of students participating in the statewide assessment, and the number of students enrolled in the school that are 20 years of age or older. Each school should review their draft report and the guidance IDOE has released related to House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1066-Various Education Matters (4 of 5). The final report will be created after Period 2 data for 2019-2020 is finalized.
Office of School Finance
FY 2021 Appropriation Update
IDOE has worked with the State Budget Agency regarding FY 2021 state appropriations. Please read the attached memo for details.
School Technology Advancement Applications
The Office of School Finance will accept School Technology Advancement Applications through July 17. School officials interested in submitting a STAA application can complete an online application at the following link. Details and a sample application can be found in Moodle. If you have questions concerning this memo, please use this email. The submission deadline is July 17.
Office of School Finance Annual Budget Workshop
Office of School Finance and other updates can be found in Moodle Finance under Tuition Support – Budget Workshop Information. FY 2021 State Tuition Support Worksheets are available in State Aid. The FY 2021 State Tuition Support worksheet can be viewed and printed from the School Finance Application Center (State Aid). Reviewing the worksheet will afford you the opportunity to review the individual data variables in the calculation of the FY 2021 State Tuition Support grants. Please review your worksheet for accuracy. Questions can be sent to Melissa Ambre or Amy Pattison.
Form 9 Financial Data
The due date for Form 9 Submission is July 31. Form 9 Financial Report data must be submitted electronically through the DOE Online upload program. The data may be in CSV or TXT format. Contact information, a certification page, a data file, and a transfer report are required to be entered or uploaded through DOE Online. The transfer report is optional for charter schools. Please use this email to send question. The submission deadline is July 31.
CARES Act Fund Numbers
Annual Financial Report
I.C. 5-3-1-3 requires the secretary of each public school corporation to publish an Annual Financial Report (AFR). The report must be published one time annually, not earlier than August 1, or later than August 15 of each year. The statute also requires IDOE to develop guidelines for the preparation and formatting of the report. Guidelines are available here and can also be found in MOODLE Finance. The submission deadline is August 15.
UPDATE: Excessive Education Fund Transfer List
Please read the updated memo regarding the Excessive Education Fund Transfer List based on Form 9 financial data filed by school corporations. Please send any questions here. The submission deadline is July 31.
Office of School Nutrition
UPDATE: USDA Approves Waivers for Certain Programs
The USDA has approved the following waivers through June 30, 2021. Please visit the Office of School Nutrition website for more details.
Nationwide Waiver to Allow Non-congregate Feeding in the Child Nutrition Programs
Nationwide Waiver to Allow Meal Service Time Flexibility in the National School Lunch Program, School Breakfast Program, and Child and Adult Care Food Program
Nationwide Waiver to Allow Parents and Guardians to Pick Up Meals for Children
Nationwide Waiver to Allow Meal Pattern Flexibility in the Child Nutrition Programs
Nationwide Waiver to Allow Offer Versus Serve Flexibility for Senior High Schools in the National School Lunch Program for School Year 2020-2021
If you have any questions, please contact Marcia Yurczyk.
2020 Census Update
IDOE has collated a list of census resources for superintendents, school leaders, families, and educators. Click here to access IDOE’s 2020 Census website. #INCensus2020
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on July 3, 2020 @ 14:11:23
- Kelly on June 26, 2020 @ 13:20:06
- Kelly on June 19, 2020 @ 13:12:06
- Kelly on June 19, 2020 @ 13:11:10
- Kelly on June 12, 2020 @ 16:17:35
- Kelly on June 5, 2020 @ 14:12:34
- Kelly on June 5, 2020 @ 14:12:00
- Kelly on June 5, 2020 @ 14:11:13
- Kelly on May 29, 2020 @ 13:15:04
- Kelly on May 29, 2020 @ 13:13:57
- Kelly on May 29, 2020 @ 13:12:43
- Kelly on May 29, 2020 @ 13:12:07
- Kelly on May 22, 2020 @ 13:45:49
- Kelly on May 15, 2020 @ 18:09:11
- Kelly on May 15, 2020 @ 18:08:31
- Kelly on May 8, 2020 @ 21:33:45
- Kelly on May 1, 2020 @ 17:15:41
- Kelly on April 27, 2020 @ 13:30:32
- Kelly on April 17, 2020 @ 14:18:54
- Kelly on April 10, 2020 @ 13:59:42
- Kelly on April 3, 2020 @ 13:39:44
- Kelly on March 27, 2020 @ 13:10:17
- Kelly on March 27, 2020 @ 13:08:31
- Kelly on March 27, 2020 @ 13:07:25
- Kelly on March 27, 2020 @ 13:06:25
- Kelly on March 20, 2020 @ 14:02:17
- Kelly on March 13, 2020 @ 12:12:11
- Kelly on March 13, 2020 @ 12:10:14
- Kelly on March 6, 2020 @ 18:46:02
- Kelly on February 28, 2020 @ 15:43:35
- Kelly on February 24, 2020 @ 20:53:53
- Kelly on February 14, 2020 @ 14:09:15
- Kelly on February 7, 2020 @ 20:21:11
- Kelly on January 31, 2020 @ 14:04:48
- Kelly on January 21, 2020 @ 22:07:04
- Kelly on December 27, 2019 @ 14:22:46
- Kelly on December 20, 2019 @ 14:27:28
- Kelly on December 13, 2019 @ 14:51:26
- Kelly on December 4, 2019 @ 14:50:31
- Kelly on November 15, 2019 @ 14:11:00
- Kelly on November 1, 2019 @ 20:36:24
- Kelly on November 1, 2019 @ 20:32:10
- Kelly on October 25, 2019 @ 13:23:19
- Kelly on October 21, 2019 @ 15:46:51
- Kelly on October 11, 2019 @ 14:17:19
- Kelly on October 4, 2019 @ 19:08:39
- Kelly on September 27, 2019 @ 16:38:27
- Kelly on September 20, 2019 @ 14:59:06
- Kelly on September 13, 2019 @ 14:42:36
- Kelly on September 13, 2019 @ 14:37:03
- Kelly on September 6, 2019 @ 17:59:40
- Kelly on August 30, 2019 @ 12:28:11
- Kelly on August 30, 2019 @ 12:24:09
- Kelly on August 23, 2019 @ 18:47:11
- Kelly on August 23, 2019 @ 18:41:29
- Kelly on August 16, 2019 @ 20:48:26
- Kelly on August 9, 2019 @ 20:00:01
- Kelly on August 9, 2019 @ 19:59:31
- Kelly on August 2, 2019 @ 15:05:27
- Kelly on August 2, 2019 @ 15:01:28
- Kelly on July 26, 2019 @ 12:48:53
- Kelly on July 22, 2019 @ 13:13:03
- Kelly on July 22, 2019 @ 13:12:20
- Kelly on July 12, 2019 @ 13:12:07
- Kelly on July 5, 2019 @ 18:14:46
- Kelly on July 5, 2019 @ 18:13:50
- Kelly on June 28, 2019 @ 19:16:37
- Kelly on June 7, 2019 @ 13:20:59
- Kelly on June 7, 2019 @ 13:20:21
- Kelly on June 3, 2019 @ 14:09:28
- Kelly on May 24, 2019 @ 14:32:57
- Kelly on May 24, 2019 @ 14:31:30
- Kelly on May 24, 2019 @ 14:30:19
- Kelly on May 17, 2019 @ 14:07:12
- Kelly on May 17, 2019 @ 14:06:37
- Kelly on May 13, 2019 @ 12:34:45
- Kelly on May 13, 2019 @ 12:34:20 [Autosave]
- Kelly on May 3, 2019 @ 14:26:01
- Kelly on May 3, 2019 @ 12:18:15
- Kelly on April 20, 2019 @ 14:13:39
- Kelly on April 20, 2019 @ 14:05:23
- Kelly on March 27, 2019 @ 21:13:10
- Kelly on March 18, 2019 @ 12:22:58
- Kelly on March 11, 2019 @ 01:11:47
- Kelly on March 3, 2019 @ 22:35:02
- Kelly on February 22, 2019 @ 13:53:37
- Kelly on February 22, 2019 @ 13:52:34
- Kelly on February 15, 2019 @ 14:41:36
- Kelly on February 8, 2019 @ 21:03:55
- Kelly on February 1, 2019 @ 15:28:14
- Kelly on February 1, 2019 @ 15:27:09
- Kelly on February 1, 2019 @ 15:22:31
- Kelly on January 25, 2019 @ 14:52:21
- Kelly on January 25, 2019 @ 14:51:46
- Kelly on January 18, 2019 @ 13:56:04
- Kelly on January 18, 2019 @ 13:51:11
- Kelly on January 11, 2019 @ 15:01:34
- Kelly on January 11, 2019 @ 15:00:49
- Kelly on January 11, 2019 @ 14:52:46
- Kelly on August 28, 2018 @ 15:40:24
- Kelly on August 21, 2018 @ 13:22:36
- Kelly on August 10, 2018 @ 21:10:52
- Kelly on July 13, 2018 @ 20:21:24
- Kelly on June 30, 2018 @ 13:44:12
- Kelly on June 11, 2018 @ 15:42:27
- Kelly on June 11, 2018 @ 15:41:52
- Kelly on June 7, 2018 @ 15:29:31
- Kelly on May 30, 2018 @ 17:56:30
- Kelly on May 30, 2018 @ 17:47:43
- Kelly on May 30, 2018 @ 17:44:36
- Kelly on May 19, 2018 @ 17:30:32
- Kelly on May 7, 2018 @ 20:29:49
- Kelly on May 7, 2018 @ 20:28:56
- Kelly on May 7, 2018 @ 20:23:07
This post was created by QRST ContentManager on May 7, 2018.