The Academic Honors diploma indicates the student has met all the requirements for a Core 40 diploma, with some additional coursework in math, world language and fine arts.
- A grade point average of “B” or higher is expected.
- There are additional expectations of AP, IB or dual-credit courses.
- On the spread sheet on the Course Titles & Descriptions page ANY course that has an X next to it counts toward AHD. There is a key at the bottom of the spreadsheet that denotes it. From IDOE (May 2019)
- Q: If I have a student who wants to graduate a full year early and she is pursuing the academic honors diploma, does the Algebra I that she took in 8th grade count toward her required 8 math credits for the AHD? Or does she need to double up on math in order to earn the 8 math credits in high school?
- A: 8th Grade algebra credit can be used to fulfill the 2 additional credits for AHD. It cannot be used to fulfill the 6 credits required in grades 9-12. If you have any specific questions regarding this let me know. I have attached link to guidance regarding this topic. One important thing to note is “The purpose of allowing students the flexibility to take high school courses before entering Grade 9 is to allow them to advance to higher level courses, not to finish their entire course of study at earlier grades 2 without the opportunity to learn the designated curriculum for a grade level or diminish the amount or quality of learning that will be completed in Grades 9 through 12.”
- A: Core40 Requirements
- A: HS Credit for courses prior to 9th grade guidance
- It is a district-level decision whether a C- counts toward an AHD diploma.
- For the purposes of state financial aid, students who are eligible for the Frank O’Bannon grant earn an additional $800 for the first year of college if they have earned the Academic Honors or Technical Honors diploma. After the first year of college, that additional funding is based on their college GPA. Additionally, some colleges give merit funding themselves to students who have earned one of these diplomas, but that varies by college and is up to their budget and discretion each year.
- If a student is eligible for a base award under the state’s O’Bannon grant program, they can receive an additional $800 for earning an Academic Honors or Technical Honors diploma. If a student earns both, they only receive the additional $800, not doubled. The link below will take you to the grid showing the base O’Bannon grant amounts and the additional incentives.
- We allow students to take ASL through Indiana Online Academy and count it towards two years of world language towards their Academic Honors diploma. Usually the students then take two years of another world language after that.
- From Amanda Culhan, IDOE: The State Board approved the proposed SAT scores for the Academic Honors Diploma at [September 6, 2017] meeting! You can find more information here. In short, [here] are the scores that passed: Composite score of 1250 or higher with a minimum score of 560 on the math and a 590 on the evidence based reading and writing section.
- Q: The “state” requirement is an “advance level” (4th year of math); if you do not require pre-calc/trig, what do you require?
- A: We added CCR math this year for non-stem seeking careers. During scheduling several thought they wanted PreCalc because their friends were taking it. Once they started in PreCalc they wish they would have take CCR. There is no textbook for the class but the state created the curriculum. My teacher is using Indiana Career Explorer in class to try and tie the importance of math to careers they may be interested in.
- A: We are offering CCR (College and Career Ready) math this year too.
- A: CCR Bridge Math Ready
- ACADEMIC HONORS QUESTIONS From Counselor Talk (February 2018)
- Q: Is it possible for a mid-year graduate to earn an Academic Honors diploma? Obviously they need to earn 8 total credits of Math, but will their Algebra 1 credits in 8th grade count towards that total?
- A: Per Amanda Culhan: Yes, the 2 credits earned in 8th grade could be applied toward the 8 needed for the AHD. The student is required to earn 6 credits of math during grades 9-12 for the Core 40 and up but the 2 in middle school could count toward those extra 2 needed for honors.
- Speech is not a required course for the AHD as long as speech components are included in the English curriculum.
- New SAT Score change for Indiana’s Academic Honors diploma from IDOE (2017)
- CHIPS Verification form
- New SAT Score change for Indiana’s Academic Honors diploma from IDOE (Sept. 2017)-Rule 16-260 Final Rule
- Diploma Requirement Tracking Form (Google Sheet Version)
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on May 21, 2019 @ 20:57:57
- 1StopABCD on May 8, 2019 @ 12:58:27
- Kelly on January 30, 2019 @ 22:02:04
- 1StopABCD on September 6, 2018 @ 20:43:06
- Kelly on August 21, 2018 @ 13:10:01
- Kelly on July 20, 2018 @ 18:33:44
- 1StopABCD on July 20, 2018 @ 15:50:44
- Kelly on July 10, 2018 @ 16:23:49
- Kelly on July 10, 2018 @ 16:20:39
- 1StopABCD on May 1, 2018 @ 14:36:53
- 1StopABCD on March 1, 2018 @ 20:11:42
- Kelly on January 17, 2018 @ 18:36:27
- Kelly on September 5, 2017 @ 19:03:56
- Kelly on August 31, 2017 @ 16:06:11
- 1StopABCD on August 18, 2017 @ 14:07:02
- Kelly on June 16, 2017 @ 13:34:19
- 1StopABCD on January 31, 2017 @ 15:43:12
- 1StopABCD on January 27, 2017 @ 18:15:54
- Kelly on January 18, 2017 @ 19:14:05
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 20:21:24
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 20:00:24
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 19:58:50
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 19:58:17
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 11:43:02
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 11:36:09
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 11:30:51
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 02:42:18
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 02:41:44
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 02:33:17
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 01:20:51
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 01:20:51
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 5, 2016.