The Academic Honors diploma indicates the student has met all the requirements for a Core 40 diploma, with some additional coursework in math, world language and fine arts.
- A grade point average of “B” or higher is expected.
- There are additional expectations of AP, IB or dual-credit courses.
- It is a district-level decision whether a C- counts toward an AHD diploma.
- For the purposes of state financial aid, students who are eligible for the Frank O’Bannon grant earn an additional $800 for the first year of college if they have earned the Academic Honors or Technical Honors diploma. After the first year of college, that additional funding is based on their college GPA. Additionally, some colleges give merit funding themselves to students who have earned one of these diplomas, but that varies by college and is up to their budget and discretion each year.
- If a student is eligible for a base award under the state’s O’Bannon grant program, they can receive an additional $800 for earning an Academic Honors or Technical Honors diploma. If a student earns both, they only receive the additional $800, not doubled. The link below will take you to the grid showing the base O’Bannon grant amounts and the additional incentives.
We allow students to take ASL through Indiana Online Academy and count it towards two years of world language towards their Academic Honors diploma. Usually the students then take two years of another world language after that.
- From Amanda Culhan, IDOE: The State Board approved the proposed SAT scores for the Academic Honors Diploma at [September 6, 2017] meeting! You can find more information here. In short, [here] are the scores that passed: Composite score of 1250 or higher with a minimum score of 560 on the math and a 590 on the evidence based reading and writing section.
- Q: The “state” requirement is an “advance level” (4th year of math); if you do not require pre-calc/trig, what do you require?
- A: We added CCR math this year for non-stem seeking careers. During scheduling several thought they wanted PreCalc because their friends were taking it. Once they started in PreCalc they wish they would have take CCR. There is no textbook for the class but the state created the curriculum. My teacher is using Indiana Career Explorer in class to try and tie the importance of math to careers they may be interested in.
- A: We are offering CCR (College and Career Ready) math this year too.
- A: CCR Bridge Math Ready
- ACADEMIC HONORS QUESTIONS from Counselortalk Feb. 2018
- Is it possible for a mid-year graduate to earn an Academic Honors diploma? Obviously they need to earn 8 total credits of Math, but will their Algebra 1 credits in 8th grade count towards that total? Per Amanda Culhan: Yes, the 2 credits earned in 8th grade could be applied toward the 8 needed for the AHD. The student is required to earn 6 credits of math during grades 9-12 for the Core 40 and up but the 2 in middle school could count toward those extra 2 needed for honors.
- New SAT Score change for Indiana’s Academic Honors diploma from IDOE (2017)
- CHIPS Verification form
- New SAT Score change for Indiana’s Academic Honors diploma from IDOE (Sept. 2017)-Rule 16-260 Final Rule
- Diploma Requirement Tracking Form (Google Sheet Version)
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Kelly Dunn on September 6, 2018.
- September 6, 2018 @ 20:43:06
- August 21, 2018 @ 13:10:01
- July 20, 2018 @ 18:33:44
- July 20, 2018 @ 15:50:44
- July 10, 2018 @ 16:23:49
- July 10, 2018 @ 16:20:39
- May 1, 2018 @ 14:36:53
- March 1, 2018 @ 20:11:42
- January 17, 2018 @ 18:36:27
- September 5, 2017 @ 19:03:56
- August 31, 2017 @ 16:06:11
- August 18, 2017 @ 14:07:02
- June 16, 2017 @ 13:34:19
- January 31, 2017 @ 15:43:12
- January 27, 2017 @ 18:15:54
- January 18, 2017 @ 19:14:05
- August 5, 2016 @ 20:21:24
- August 5, 2016 @ 20:00:24
- August 5, 2016 @ 19:58:50
- August 5, 2016 @ 19:58:17
- August 5, 2016 @ 11:43:02
- August 5, 2016 @ 11:36:09
- August 5, 2016 @ 11:30:51
- August 5, 2016 @ 02:42:18
- August 5, 2016 @ 02:41:44
- August 5, 2016 @ 02:33:17
- August 5, 2016 @ 01:20:51
- August 5, 2016 @ 01:20:51
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 5, 2016.