ASVAB stands for the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB). The ASVAB is a timed multi-aptitude test, which is given at over 14,000 schools and Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS) nationwide and is developed and maintained by the Department of Defense.
- The ASVAB is scored in four critical areas — Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension and Mathematics Knowledge. These scores count towards your Armed Forces Qualifying Test (AFQT) score. The AFQT score determines whether you’re qualified to enlist in the U.S. military.
- Your scores in the other areas of the ASVAB will determine how qualified you are for certain military occupational specialties and Enlistment Bonuses. A high score will improve your chances of getting the specialty/job and signing bonus you want.
- Scoring high on the ASVAB will require study and concentration.
- Q: I have several students who have told me they already “passed” the ASVAB for Graduation Pathways but the score sheets I received are actually PICAT scores. The recruiter I spoke with said that the PICAT can replace the ASVAB for enlistment. Can we use PICAT scores for Graduation Pathways?
- A: The answer to the question is NO. The PICAT cannot be used for the Graduation Pathway, nor is it a valid ASVAB test for enlistment until individual takes a verification test. If someone from the recruiting command needs validation of PICAT usage, please direct them to my office. Furthermore, please instruct your students NOT to go to the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) to take ASVAB test for Graduation Pathway. The MEPS administer the ASVAB ONLY to individuals interested in joining the military, as stated before, there are two ASVAB programs: Enlistment and Student. One last comment about the PICAT, schools should NOT allow recruiters to come into your school to administer PICAT to your students! Lastly, I have attached three important documents that was sent to schools a few weeks ago. Schools MAY SUBMIT an ASVAB Reservation Form for testing in SY 2021-2022 – Use SY 21-22 Reservation Form as the subject of your email. Schools will be allowed to test once in the fall and once in the spring. You may want to consider submitting both forms at the same time. Your email date will be used for scheduling sequence. Please send your reservation form to the mail-box listed in the attached “New ASVAB Changes & Information document”. Incomplete forms will be returned to you! If you have not completed the Post Test Interpretation Moodle training, contact me for re-nomination. If you have, I will be contacting you shortly to complete Observation (see attached). As a reminder, the primary reason the ASVAB is administered in schools is Career Exploration: Individuals interested in the Military and Graduation Pathway are tremendous benefits of ASVAB testing. The AFQT score (31) is used for both military (score good for two years) and pathway. (from, Dr. Nathaniel Grandberry, ASVAB-CEP Program Manager, April 2021)
- (For Indiana) Updated ASVAB testing coordinator information:
ASVAB Career Exploration Program (CEP)
(317)554-0531 ext. 214
- The process started by filling out a request form that allowed us to pick a few dates we wanted to test. Then, they take over everything. They provide proctors and materials. You just provide bodies and the space. They also provide someone to come in a follow up with the students about their results two weeks after the testing date. There is no cost to the school. And, when you get setup with your coordinator, you can get an access code to explore all the Resources available, like parent letters and such.
- Now that they have the interest inventory computerized, the kids are really engaged and can go home and explore as well. I always do the interpretation so I get knowledge of what the kids are thinking for a career. The military comes in and administers it so other than arranging a room I have no time commitment to it. The interest inventory can still be beneficial to them and the kids enjoy it!
- I believe it is a benefit. It is the only true measure of a student’s whole ability. It applies the test to what their career interests are and shows them whether or not they have the skill set for it. It also gives them suggestions on what careers they could be successful at based on their ability. It suggests careers maybe they never thought about doing based on ability not just what they like. MEPS comes in and goes over it with the students in their US History class. We test our juniors so we can review in US History and not all are re-testers. It is one more test but it is a different test. Most of our students took it seriously this year and we are the first school to take it all online with our junior class in Indiana.
- Don’t view this as something military uses to recruit. They only use it for job placement if a student is interested in joining. I have been around this for years as a student, US History teacher, special education teacher, admin, and now a counselor and see only benefit from it. I was not in the military, but I believe our students are not all going to college and this is one of the best ways to help them with a career path. I believe this should be our graduation test because it is the only test that measures the whole student and then applies it to their career interests.
- One pitfall this year is that MEPS is going through changes in funding and staffing. They have not been as efficient as they have been in the past (I had to follow up with calls and emails for response because short staff and updates to systems this year only). More schools are using ASVAB so it can limit the time when students can take it.
- There are a lot of resources available to help prepare for the ASVAB. Many are listed below. Also, if you do a search in the Google Play store on your phone, there are 6 free apps and all are pretty useful.
- Accommodations on the ASVAB: They will provide proctors with the read aloud script. It is best done in a small group and sometimes your SPED staff will proctor. it is best to use someone who is familiar with the students. Read aloud must be done in a separate setting from other accommodations. Small group is a ratio of 1:15. You can have up to 30 with 2 proctors.
- Q: What other high schools are NOT ISTEP TESTING juniors or seniors that passed the ASVAB and meet the other requirements of the Graduation Pathways? (Counselor Talk, November 2018)
- What is the ASVAB Test?
- Understanding Your ASVAB Scores – video
- Understanding Your ASVAB Results
- ASVAB Overview Presentation (PowerPoint)
- ASVAB for Dummies is a useful book
Book- ASVAB Secrets Study Guide by Mometrix Test Preparation
- WIN (see https://www.in.gov/dwd/2710.htm) provides ASVAB and other test prep free of charge.
- Indiana Contact:
Dr. Nathaniel Grandberry
ASVAB-CEP Program Manager
Office: (317) 554-0531 x213
Cell: (317) 414-7148
- Study.com – ASVAB Practice Tests
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on April 22, 2021 @ 11:37:38
- Kelly on October 3, 2019 @ 20:56:12
- Kelly on October 3, 2019 @ 20:42:51
- 1StopABCD on April 5, 2019 @ 22:35:30
- Kelly on December 26, 2018 @ 15:23:46
- Kelly on December 4, 2018 @ 20:31:56
- Kelly on November 15, 2018 @ 18:44:13
- Kelly on September 20, 2018 @ 12:27:12
- 1StopABCD on August 10, 2018 @ 13:38:22
- 1StopABCD on May 3, 2018 @ 20:27:07
- Kelly on May 3, 2018 @ 18:10:04
- Mary on April 30, 2018 @ 17:30:35
- Kelly on June 5, 2017 @ 17:59:38
- Heather on August 7, 2016 @ 21:29:42
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 7, 2016.