Attendance is one of the main predictors of success in school, for obvious reasons. While we can’t control all the factors related to whether children come to school on time, there are many effective interventions for improving school attendance.
- Most schools post their attendance policies on their website, so if you are looking for fresh ideas, this is a great place to start.
- While much of attendance policy is dictated by state law, there are elements (such as incentives) that can be tailored to your community to make school attendance part of the culture.
- Effective attendance policies must include a component of engaging parental cooperation.
- Before developing an intervention to improve attendance, it is important to identify the underlying causes of the problem for your specific population.
- Counselortalk ideas-attendance
- Hauser Jr.-Sr. High attendance policy-Hauser Jr
- Many of you are seeking information to assist chronically absent students. I am collaborating with our attendance officer to try a new intervention at La Porte High School.1) The attendance officer identified and created a list of our chronically absent students.
2) Tomorrow we are going to meet with the students in small groups.
3) The attendance office will discuss and answer questions about our new attendance policy.
4) After her discussion, I am going to discuss reasons why students miss schools, troubleshoot obstacles
for good attendance, provide resources, etc. (Note: I am a former English teacher and now deal specifically with drug addiction, grief, suicide prevention, and well-being issues).
5) Students will sign the attached contract. Refer to attachment.
6) If students are having problem areas, they may meet individually with me, school counselor, administrator, community resources etc.
7) The attendance officer and I will follow up with students-as needed-in a group or individually.
If you want to know more about what I do at La Porte High School, follow me on Facebook at LPHS Slicer Support Services or Twitter at slicersupport.
Christine G. Rosenbaum Attendance Contract with Attendance and SSS
- Counselortalk Wisdom August 2017
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on August 16, 2017.
- August 16, 2017 @ 19:54:20
- August 15, 2017 @ 15:14:22
- January 5, 2017 @ 15:04:36
- January 3, 2017 @ 15:39:03
- August 5, 2016 @ 21:06:39
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 5, 2016.