Bullying is unwanted, aggressive, repeated behavior, typically among school-aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. Both kids who are bullied and who bully others may have serious, lasting problems. (Adapted from: http://www.stopbullying.gov/what-is-bullying/definition/index.html)
- For behavior to be considered bullying, it must be aggressive, there must be a real or perceived power imbalance and the behavior must be repeated.
- There are different types of bullying: verbal, physical, social (sometimes referred to as relational bullying or relational aggression), and cyber-bullying.
- Verbal bullying can include saying mean things, taunting, name-calling, threats to cause harm, inappropriate sexual comments and teasing.
- Physical bullying can include pushing, shoving, hitting, kicking, spitting, pinching, taking or breaking someone’s possessions and holding someone down.
- Social bullying can include isolating someone from their friends, leaving someone out, spreading rumors about someone, and embarrassing someone. Social bullying can include cyber-bullying.
- Cyber-bullying is verbal bullying using electronic technology, including text messages, email messages, social media sites and the internet. This behavior can include spreading rumors about someone, saying mean things about or to someone, or posting pictures of someone without their permission, with the intent to cause harm.
- Bullying can happen anywhere, before or after school, on the way to and from school, on the bus, on the playground, in the bathroom, stairwells or hallways, at home and via electronic technology.
- Indiana state law requires that all school corporations develop bullying prevention programs for the prevention of bullying behavior in schools, in accordance with P.L. 285-2013. (For guidance on this topic, please see: http://www.doe.in.gov/student-services/bullying-prevention)
- Bullying prevention efforts must be sustained over time to be effective.
- What I have learned: The Indiana Department of Education provides model lessons and resources for bullying prevention at all levels, elementary, middle and high school. See: http://www.doe.in.gov/student-services/bullying-prevention
- What I have learned
- Stop Bullying: http://www.stopbullying.gov/
- Cyberbullying: http://www.stopbullying.gov/cyberbullying/index.html
- Evidence Based Practices for Preventing and Addressing Bullying: http://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default/files/student-services/bullying-enclosure-8-20-13.pdf
- Indiana Anti-Bullying School Policy: http://www.doe.in.gov/student-services/anti-bullying-school-policy
- Indiana Bullying Prevention: http://www.doe.in.gov/student-services/bullying-prevention
- NEA’s Bully Free It Starts With Me: http://www.nea.org/home/neabullyfree.html
- Mental Health and Bullying: http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/mental-health-information?body_value=bullying&field_audiences_nid=All
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on August 26, 2016.
- August 26, 2016 @ 21:26:28
- August 5, 2016 @ 21:53:07
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 5, 2016.