Confidentiality is central to all we do but can be tricky since we serve minors and have so many different stakeholders.
- ASCA’s ethical standards are a great source of guidance when dealing with issues of confidentiality
- When in doubt, also reach out to the legal counsel for your district, particularly if you are subpoenaed.
- There are many different interpretations of which records can or cannot be subpoenaed.
- I have found that many situations where parents are seeking confidential information can be resolved by developing a relationship of mutual trust and sharing regular reports of how I feel the child is progressing, without giving specifics.
- Counselortalk chat on using Google Docs for private records, Jan., 2017-Should I store counselor records on Google Docs
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on January 10, 2017.
- January 10, 2017 @ 20:36:07
- August 7, 2016 @ 18:29:06
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 7, 2016.