The term “domestic violence” includes felony or misdemeanor crimes of violence committed by a current or former spouse or intimate partner of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabitating with or has cohabitated with the victim as a spouse or intimate partner, by a person similarly situated to a spouse of the victim under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction receiving grant monies, or by any other person against an adult or youth victim who is protected from that person’s acts under the domestic or family violence laws of the jurisdiction (US Dept of Justice).
- In an emergency, victims of domestic violence should call 911 or contact state or local law enforcement officials, who can respond to these crimes. Individuals in need of non-emergency assistance can also call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE or visit www.TheHotline.org
- Once violence begins, it will usually continue and get worse over time. No matter how often the abuse happens, the victim of domestic violence suffers constant terror and stress, living in fear of the next episode.
- While women are most commonly the victims of their male partners, domestic violence can happen between all sorts of people and in all sorts of relationships.
- Helping Children Cope with Violence and Trauma: A School-Based Program that Works (RAND Center for Domestic and International Health Security, 2005)
- Helping Traumatized Children Learn (Trauma and Learning Policy Initiative, a collaboration of Massachusetts Advocates for Children and Harvard Law School)
- Domestic Violence and Children: A Handbook for Schools and Early Years Settings by Abigail Sterne
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Kelly Dunn on May 31, 2018.
- May 31, 2018 @ 15:25:29
- May 31, 2018 @ 15:25:09
- May 29, 2018 @ 20:03:09
- August 8, 2016 @ 00:04:47
- August 7, 2016 @ 23:53:47
This post was created by QRST ContentManager on August 7, 2016.