Eating disorders — such as anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorder – include extreme emotions, attitudes, and behaviors surrounding weight and food issues. Eating disorders are serious emotional and physical problems that can have life-threatening consequences for females and males (http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/general-information). Eating disorders affect people of every age, race, gender, and socio-economic status (http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/diversity).
- Types of Eating Disorders include: Anorexia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder, Bulimia Nervosa, Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified, as well as Additional Eating or Feeding Disorders (https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/types-symptoms-eating-disorders).
- Eating disorders are commonly thought to be tied to emotional issues and feelings toward the self and self-worth, rather than truly being about food, although the disorders generally manifest with preoccupations about food and weight.
- Eating Disorders can have serious physical health consequences which depend on the type of Eating Disorder.
- Eating Disorders can result in serious oral health consequences.
- The most effective and long-lasting treatment for an eating disorder is some form of psychotherapy or psychological counseling, coupled with careful attention to medical and nutritional needs (https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/treatment).
Q: Does anyone know of any good blogs or websites for teens with eating disorders?
- A: I just completed a webinar on findhelp.org. It is very helpful to find resources within your zip code.
- National Eating Disorders Association: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
- Mayo Clinic Information on Eating Disorders: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eating-disorders/basics/definition/con-20033575
- A Nurse’s Guide to Eating Disorders (Maryville University)
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on December 7, 2020 @ 16:32:18
- Kelly on September 17, 2018 @ 12:49:58
- Kelly on May 30, 2018 @ 18:46:23
- Mary on May 17, 2018 @ 18:40:05
- Heather on August 8, 2016 @ 00:27:43
- Heather on August 8, 2016 @ 00:25:41
- Heather on August 7, 2016 @ 19:34:20
This post was created by EFGH ContentManager on August 7, 2016.