The Indiana College Core ensures that a student’s30 hours of general education credit transfers between public colleges and universities. Whether the student has just started college or has completed 30 hours of general education credits, the following resources can help with next steps
- (CounselorTalk, March 2023): Michelle Ashcraft, inaugural Associate Commissioner for K-12 Strategy for the Indiana Commission for Higher Education (CHE) shares that Outreach Coordinators are reaching out to high school counselors with an update regarding roster cleanup in ScholarTrack for the 2023 cohort. Why is this important?
- We have set a statewide goal for 60% of the class of 2023 to file the FAFSA by April 15.
- We track your school’s FAFSA completion so that we can reward your success.
- We will share FAFSA completion data with IDOE for the Indiana GPS Dashboard.
- We estimate that cleaning up rosters in ScholarTrack will increase schools’ FAFSA completion rates 3-8%.
To make roster cleanup easier, they are sending lists of students we suspect have moved out of state, transitioned to homeschool or another school, or left school. You do not have to review your full roster. We would like to have roster cleanup complete by March 31, 2023 so that we can leverage April 1-15 for a strong final push for 2023-24 FAFSA filing. If you would like assistance with FAFSA filing in your school, please reach out to your Outreach Coordinator and/or our INvestED partners. We also encourage having your IT colleagues safe list @che.in.gov e-mail addresses for your students so we can reach out directly to offer reminders/support.
- To continue building awareness around the benefits of the Indiana College Core with high school students, the Indiana Commission for Higher Education and Indiana Department of Education released a comprehensive digital guide and toolkit in March, 2022. The materials are designed to equip educators, especially school counselors, with the information and tools needed to help students make knowledgeable decisions about earning the Indiana College Core.
The Educator Guide contains:
- Explanation of the Indiana College Core and its benefits
- How high schools can become providers of the Core
- Flowchart for how to guide a student through earning and transferring the Core
- Student, parent, principal and counselor testimonials
The Educator Toolkit is designed for counselors to explain the Indiana College Core to students and parents, and it contains:
- Sample website and newsletter content
- Sample email draft
- Sample social media posts
- Downloadable and fillable course offering list you can use to list your school’s courses that fulfill the Core
There’s also a short informational video designed to explain the Core to students and parents.
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Aimee on March 15, 2023 @ 12:52:31
- Aimee on March 15, 2023 @ 12:52:19 [Autosave]
- Aimee on March 22, 2022 @ 11:21:49
- Aimee on March 22, 2022 @ 11:21:11
This post was created by Aimee Porteus on March 22, 2022.