Use this section to briefly describe or define this topic area.
- Bullet 1
- Bullet 2
- General Diploma Waiver: A waiver was created for the general diploma to be included in the federal graduation rate calculation. The public comment period closes December 2. Please review the waiver and encourage your staff to submit a comment. (From the Superintendent’s Message 11/3/17)
- The federal calculation (mentioned below) won’t include General Diplomas. From the (Indiana) Superintendent’s mail October 2017:
Last week the Department shared information about future accountability considerations and timelines. Over the past week we’ve received some additional questions about calculating an ESSA score. Here are a few points of clarification:
- When school accountability grades come out in the fall of 2018 (using 2017-18 data), the grades will be calculated the same as they are being calculated this year unless state policy changes. Rule-making regarding state accountability grades is currently in progress. These grades are based on state laws and rules.
- During the fall of 2018 accountability season, a second calculation based on a federal formula will be shared with schools. This score will take into account federal requirements and will be dependent on the approval of Indiana’s ESSA plan which was submitted to the federal government earlier in September.
- The 2017-18 accountability scores are part of a transition year approach to accountability. With the anticipated changes around assessments, graduation pathways, and federal accountability, a transition year will give schools time to ramp up to the accountability model that should be in place for the 2018-19 school year (released in Fall 2019), when we anticipate the state and federal calculations will yield the same grade.
- The Department has not calculated the (ESSA) federal scores for the 2016-17 or 2017-18 school years. Schools interested in understanding what the federal score might look like for 2017-18 accountability could use their data from this year’s accountability calculations, adjust their graduation rate to factor out general diplomas, and estimate the points earned for attendance (K-8) and ELL performance based on local data. Again, we would stress the federal calculation will depend on the approval of Indiana’s ESSA plan, so any calculation of a federal accountability score for 2017-18 school year would be highly speculative.
- Use this section to share links to other resources
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on November 3, 2017.
- November 3, 2017 @ 13:15:32
- October 19, 2017 @ 18:49:13
- August 7, 2016 @ 20:24:06
This post was created by EFGH ContentManager on August 7, 2016.