Article 4, Indiana’s Student Services Rule, requires that “School corporations shall provide educational and career services at the secondary school level. Secondary school educational and career services shall be coordinated by a certified school counselor” (511 IAC 4-1.5-4 Educational and career services). School corporations also are required to provide student assistance services at the elementary and secondary levels; student assistance services are to be coordinated by a certified school counselor, certified school psychologist, or a master’s level certified school social worker (511 IAC 4-1.5-5 Student assistance services).
Indiana school counselors are issued school services licenses, valid from kindergarten through twelfth grade. There are three levels of licensure. Initial licensure is based on education. The Initial Practitioner license can be renewed twice. Before a third renewal, instructional license holders must submit a 90 point PGP or take a test. School Service personnel can only use the PGP option to start the cycle over again. School counselors move from initial practitioner to practitioner licensure after successful work experience. The Proficient Practitioner’s or 5 year license is renewable with 6 hours of coursework, a 90 PGP or National Board Certification. Some eventually attain accomplished practitioner status. Once you have established an Accomplished Practitioner’s License or 10 year license it will renew automatically for another 10 year term. It can be renewed with coursework, a 90 point PGP or National Board Certification.
- Student-to-counselor ratios are only recommended in Indiana; they are not required.
- Bullet 2
- What I have learned
- What I have learned
- Indiana School Counselor Association
- Indiana School Counseling & Guidance (Indiana Department of Education)
- Indiana Association for College Admission Counseling (IACAC)
- Indiana School Counseling Research Review (2014) Click Here
- Indiana Content Standards for School Counselors Click Here
- Indiana Program Standards for School Counselors Click Here
- How to apply for an Indiana School Counselor license
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on August 10, 2017.
- August 10, 2017 @ 16:16:01
- July 27, 2017 @ 17:16:45
- July 27, 2017 @ 17:13:16
- November 17, 2016 @ 19:03:58
- August 7, 2016 @ 20:55:38
This post was created by IJKL ContentManager on August 7, 2016.