Article 4, Indiana’s Student Services Rule, requires that “School corporations shall provide educational and career services at the secondary school level. Secondary school educational and career services shall be coordinated by a certified school counselor” (511 IAC 4-1.5-4 Educational and career services). School corporations also are required to provide student assistance services at the elementary and secondary levels; student assistance services are to be coordinated by a certified school counselor, certified school psychologist, or a master’s level certified school social worker (511 IAC 4-1.5-5 Student assistance services).
Indiana school counselors are issued school services licenses, valid from kindergarten through twelfth grade. There are three levels of licensure. Initial licensure is based on education. The Initial Practitioner license can be renewed twice. Before a third renewal, instructional license holders must submit a 90 point PGP or take a test. School Service personnel can only use the PGP option to start the cycle over again. School counselors move from initial practitioner to practitioner licensure after successful work experience.
- Student-to-counselor ratios are only recommended in Indiana; they are not required.
- Indiana School Counselor Association
- Indiana School Counseling & Guidance (Indiana Department of Education)
- Indiana Association for College Admission Counseling (IACAC)
- Indiana School Counseling Research Review (2014) Click Here
- Indiana Content Standards for School Counselors Click Here
- Indiana Program Standards for School Counselors Click Here
- How to apply for an Indiana School Counselor license
(CounselorTalk, February, 2023) Opportunities for degrees and certificates in counseling at Butler University
- On-Campus MS in School Counseling degree: For those with a Bachelor’s degree in any area who want to earn a nationally accredited Master’s degree that leads to licensure as a school counselor.
- Online MS in School Counseling degree: Same coursework and audience as above, but for those who would benefit from learning online rather than commuting to our campus in Indianapolis.
- Online MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree: A fully online 60-hour Master’s degree for those with a Bachelor’s degree in any area who want to work as a Licensed Mental Health Counselor in private practice, hospitals, clinics, school-based therapy, or many other settings.
- Online certificate in Licensed Mental Health Counseling: A 12-credit, fully online certificate program designed specifically for school counselors and other helping professionals with a 48-hour Master’s degree who wish to meet the requirements for LMHC licensure in Indiana to increase their skills and/or open additional career pathways.
- The Proficient Practitioner’s or 5 year license is renewable with 6 hours of coursework, a 90 PGP or National Board Certification. Some eventually attain accomplished practitioner status. Once you have established an Accomplished Practitioner’s License or 10 year license it will renew automatically for another 10 year term. It can be renewed with coursework, a 90 point PGP or National Board Certification.
If you have suggestions, feedback, or resources, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.