This page is currently under construction. If you have related content or resources to add, you may submit it via the “Contact Topic Manager” box below.
Jobs Corps is a federally-funded comprehensive no-cost education and vocational training program administered by the U.S. Department of Labor program that helps young people ages 16-24 improve the quality of their lives by empowering them to get great jobs and become independent. Created in 1964 during the administration of President Lyndon B. Johnson, Job Corps was as part of Johnson’s War on Poverty and Great Society initiatives that sought to expand economic and social opportunities for Americans, especially minorities and the poor. One of the oldest social programs in the federal government today, Job Corps is a product of the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964.
Job Corps helps young people from disadvantaged backgrounds complete their high school education and trains them for meaningful careers so they can get a good start in the working world. Participants in the program are provided room and board while they work towards learning a trade, which can last up to two years. The program also helps students in completing their education and gaining employment. Participants are paid a monthly allowance which varies depending on how long they remain in the program. The Job Corps also provides career counseling and transition support to its graduates.
- Bullet 1
- Bullet 2
- Approximately 90% of Job Corps graduates go on to careers in the private sector, enlist in the military, or move on to higher education or advanced training programs.
- Job Corps website
- Indypendence Job Corps Center (Indianapolis Office) website
- Atterbury Job Corps Center (Nineveh, IN) website
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on May 29, 2018 @ 21:21:14
- Kelly on August 29, 2017 @ 16:47:58
- Kelly on August 28, 2017 @ 19:24:25
- Kelly on August 28, 2017 @ 19:22:51
- Kelly on August 28, 2017 @ 19:20:29
- Heather on August 7, 2016 @ 21:02:17
This post was created by IJKL ContentManager on August 7, 2016.