- The existence of ‘Learning Styles’ is a common ‘neuromyth’, and their use in all forms of education has been thoroughly and repeatedly discredited in the research literature. However, anecdotal evidence suggests that their use remains widespread. (The Learning Styles Myth is Thriving in Higher Education, Philip M. Newton)
- There are some concepts in education for which there is abundant clear evidence to show that they are not effective. One of these is Learning Styles, such as the ‘VAK’ classification, which classifies individuals as one or more of ‘Visual, Auditory, or Kinesthetic’ learners (Geake, 2008).
- “Another nail in the coffin for learning styles” – students did not benefit from studying according to their supposed learning style (British Psychological Society, November 2018)
- What I have learned: An individual can have a preferred type of learning style, however, they aren’t necessarily limited to one type of learning style. Some individuals may have a predominant learning style, but may learn concepts in other ways, just maybe not as easily as their preferred learning style. A learning style should not be defined as an absolute. Do not place too much faith in any one learning style theory, especially since individuals can change learning styles as they grow up. Practice studying and taking in new information from all three learning styles. Determine which learning styles helps you study best. Remember you can have any variation of learning styles (i.e. one might really fit you or aspects of multiple learning styles might suit you best.)
Bepko Learning Center – 3 Learning Styles
Education.com – Different Learning Styles in Education
The Journey to Excellence – Learning Styles
About.com – The Three Different Learning Styles
Learning Styles: Three Ways to Process Information
Education Planner – What’s Your Learning Style (20 Question Test)
Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic (VAK) learning style model – JCU
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on April 8, 2019 @ 20:28:12
- Kelly on November 16, 2018 @ 14:18:44
- Kelly on May 29, 2018 @ 21:16:21
- Kelly on September 1, 2017 @ 18:32:30
- Kelly on September 1, 2017 @ 18:29:36
- Kelly on September 1, 2017 @ 18:29:02
- Heather on August 26, 2016 @ 22:03:27
- Heather on August 7, 2016 @ 21:11:12
This post was created by IJKL ContentManager on August 7, 2016.