Supporting students on the LGBTQ+ spectrum, as well as their allies, is critical in the role of the school counselor as often, these students are most at-risk of being marginalized (at home and/or school) and exhibiting symptoms of anxiety, depression, self-harm. They are also disproportionaly at risk for completion of suicide. The follow resources can greatly help school counselors support students of this demographic.
- Many resources exist to support LGBTQ+ students, families, and allies.
- It is critical to utilize the ASCA Code of Ethics, position statements, and in following your school’s policies when supporting LGBTQ+ students, advocating for change as necessary.
- USING THE CORRECT PRONOUNS CAN MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE FOR TRANSGENDER STUDENTS https://news.utexas.edu/2018/03/30/name-use-matters-for-transgender-youths-mental-health
- School counselors may very well be the only means of support for an LGBTQ+ student; any support, even a listening ear and acceptance, can be pivotal.
- School counselors are in a unique and exciting position to advocate for the rights of LGBTQ+ students, families, and allies.
- Registering your Gay-Straight Alliance:
Register your Gay-Straight Alliance now and get support throughout the school year!
IMPORTANT MESSAGE (QUICK ACTION ALERT)
Dear LGBTQ Support Educator,
As you prepare for the school year ahead, join us next Wednesday September 5th for a live panel event featuring supportive educators from around the country and hosted by Stephanie Byers, GLSEN’s Educator of the Year.
Tune in to see how these amazing educators and administrators plan to create safe and affirming classrooms with LGBTQ visibility during this upcoming school year. They will be sharing their first person experiences, goals for the upcoming school year, and strategies they use in their schools.
If you would like to ask a question of the panel, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to address your question during the event.
Join us at 6PM EST on September 5th by visiting glsen.org/live, and share this event with your colleagues to include them in the conversation on how we are working to make our schools safer spaces for all students every day.
In the meantime, don’t forget to register for Ally Week which will be September 24-29 this year. Registering will give you access to free streaming resources, a NEW educator guide, and more.
GLSEN, Education Manager
- Indiana Youth Group – Indiana Youth Group (IYG) creates safe spaces, provides wellness programming, and educates LGBTQ youth and the community.
- https://www.hrc.org/resources/schools-in-transition-a-guide-for-supporting-transgender-students-in-k-12-s One of the best resources available for transgender student support socially/emotionally, legally, academically from grades K-12.
- https://www.glsen.org/– national support for LGBTQ+ youth, allies, and families, as well as guidance on starting a GSA (Gay-Straight or Gender and Sexuality Alliance) at your school.
- https://www.glsen.org/educate/resources/curriculum– resources for educators
- https://www.glsen.org/educate/resources/lesson-plans– lesson plans
- https://www.glsen.org/educate/professional-development/toolkits– professional development toolkits, including a Safe Space toolkit
- http://www.indianagsanetwork.org/– Indiana Gender and Sexuality Alliance (state-level support)
- https://www.glaad.org/– Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
- https://www.thetrevorproject.org/#sm.00ycdnjl1bvqdin10o72hngcv2a1v– The Trevor Project- support for LGBTQ+ youth considering suicide; talk and text lines
- ASCA’s LGBTQ+ Position Statement: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_LGBTQ.pdf
- ASCA’s Position Statement: Transgender and Non-Conforming Youth: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_Transgender.pdf
- Communicating a Change in Gender Status
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Kelly Dunn on September 10, 2018.
- September 10, 2018 @ 14:41:25
- September 10, 2018 @ 14:39:21
- September 10, 2018 @ 14:38:15
- September 10, 2018 @ 14:14:57
- September 10, 2018 @ 14:14:04 [Autosave]
- September 10, 2018 @ 13:28:25
- September 7, 2018 @ 18:07:49
- September 7, 2018 @ 18:04:54
- September 7, 2018 @ 18:00:27
- September 7, 2018 @ 17:57:26
- August 31, 2018 @ 11:08:21
- August 31, 2018 @ 11:02:37
- August 31, 2018 @ 11:00:32
- August 30, 2018 @ 15:23:28
- August 30, 2018 @ 15:21:39
- August 30, 2018 @ 15:16:14
- August 30, 2018 @ 15:11:32
- August 20, 2018 @ 17:07:05
- August 20, 2018 @ 17:02:12
- July 10, 2018 @ 16:55:01
- May 15, 2018 @ 13:25:27
- April 20, 2018 @ 15:48:27
- April 20, 2018 @ 15:48:02
- December 20, 2017 @ 22:02:17
- December 20, 2017 @ 21:54:42
- December 20, 2017 @ 21:37:51
- December 20, 2017 @ 21:33:57
- December 20, 2017 @ 21:25:40
- November 20, 2017 @ 19:19:24
- August 7, 2016 @ 21:18:40
This post was created by Greg Chaffin on August 7, 2016.