Supporting students on the LGBTQ+ spectrum, as well as their allies, is critical in the role of the school counselor as often, these students are most at-risk of being marginalized (at home and/or school) and exhibiting symptoms of anxiety, depression, self-harm. They are also disproportionately at risk for completion of suicide. The follow resources can greatly help school counselors support students of this demographic.
- Many resources exist to support LGBTQ+ students, families, and allies.
- It is critical to utilize the ASCA Code of Ethics, position statements, and in following your school’s policies when supporting LGBTQ+ students, advocating for change as necessary
- Using the correct pronouns can make a huge difference for transgender students: https://news.utexas.edu/2018/03/30/name-use-matters-for-transgender-youths-mental-health
- School counselors may very well be the only means of support for an LGBTQ+ student; any support, even a listening ear and acceptance, can be pivotal.
- School counselors are in a unique and exciting position to advocate for the rights of LGBTQ+ students, families, and allies.
- Registering your Gay-Straight Alliance:
Register your Gay-Straight Alliance now and get support throughout the school year!
- Indiana Youth Group – Indiana Youth Group (IYG) creates safe spaces, provides wellness programming, and educates LGBTQ youth and the community.
- https://www.hrc.org/resources/schools-in-transition-a-guide-for-supporting-transgender-students-in-k-12-s One of the best resources available for transgender student support socially/emotionally, legally, academically from grades K-12.
- https://www.glsen.org/– national support for LGBTQ+ youth, allies, and families, as well as guidance on starting a GSA (Gay-Straight or Gender and Sexuality Alliance) at your school.
- https://www.glsen.org/educate/resources/curriculum– resources for educators
- https://www.glsen.org/educate/resources/lesson-plans– lesson plans
- https://www.glsen.org/educate/professional-development/toolkits– professional development toolkits, including a Safe Space toolkit
- http://www.indianagsanetwork.org/– Indiana Gender and Sexuality Alliance (state-level support)
- https://www.glaad.org/– Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
- https://www.thetrevorproject.org/#sm.00ycdnjl1bvqdin10o72hngcv2a1v– The Trevor Project- support for LGBTQ+ youth considering suicide; talk and text lines
- ASCA’s LGBTQ+ Position Statement: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_LGBTQ.pdf
- ASCA’s Position Statement: Transgender and Non-Conforming Youth: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_Transgender.pdf
- Communicating a Change in Gender Status
- The Trevor Project (unique resources for LGBTQ youth on suicide prevention)
- National Day of Silence (GLSEN)
- Transgender Student Support (article)
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on November 25, 2019 @ 17:42:52
- Kelly on November 4, 2019 @ 18:12:50
- Kelly on September 25, 2019 @ 18:18:59
- Greg on April 4, 2019 @ 13:42:13
- Greg on January 22, 2019 @ 17:06:45
- Greg on January 22, 2019 @ 17:05:41
- Greg on October 16, 2018 @ 14:08:07
- Greg on September 10, 2018 @ 14:41:25
- Kelly on September 10, 2018 @ 14:39:21
- Greg on September 10, 2018 @ 14:38:15
- Kelly on September 10, 2018 @ 14:14:57
- Kelly on September 10, 2018 @ 14:14:04 [Autosave]
- Greg on September 10, 2018 @ 13:28:25
- Kelly on September 7, 2018 @ 18:07:49
- Kelly on September 7, 2018 @ 18:04:54
- Kelly on September 7, 2018 @ 18:00:27
- Kelly on September 7, 2018 @ 17:57:26
- Greg on August 31, 2018 @ 11:08:21
- Greg on August 31, 2018 @ 11:02:37
- Greg on August 31, 2018 @ 11:00:32
- Greg on August 30, 2018 @ 15:23:28
- Greg on August 30, 2018 @ 15:21:39
- Greg on August 30, 2018 @ 15:16:14
- Greg on August 30, 2018 @ 15:11:32
- Mary on August 20, 2018 @ 17:07:05
- Mary on August 20, 2018 @ 17:02:12
- Kelly on July 10, 2018 @ 16:55:01
- Kelly on May 15, 2018 @ 13:25:27
- KellyJ on April 20, 2018 @ 15:48:27
- KellyJ on April 20, 2018 @ 15:48:02
- KellyJ on December 20, 2017 @ 22:02:17
- KellyJ on December 20, 2017 @ 21:54:42
- KellyJ on December 20, 2017 @ 21:37:51
- KellyJ on December 20, 2017 @ 21:33:57
- KellyJ on December 20, 2017 @ 21:25:40
- Kelly on November 20, 2017 @ 19:19:24
- Heather on August 7, 2016 @ 21:18:40
This post was created by IJKL ContentManager on August 7, 2016.