Supporting students on the LGBTQ+ spectrum, as well as their allies, is critical in the role of the school counselor as often, these students are most at-risk of being marginalized (at home and/or school) and exhibiting symptoms of anxiety, depression, self-harm. They are also disproportionaly at risk for completion of suicide. The follow resources can greatly help school counselors support students of this demographic.
- Many resources exist to support LGBTQ+ students, families, and allies.
- It is critical to utilize the ASCA Code of Ethics, position statements, and in following your school’s policies when supporting LGBTQ+ students, advocating for change as necessary.
- School counselors may very well be the only means of support for an LGBTQ+ student; any support, even a listening ear and acceptance, can be pivotal.
- School counselors are in a unique and exciting position to advocate for the rights of LGBTQ+ students, families, and allies.
- https://www.glsen.org/– national support for LGBTQ+ youth, allies, and families, as well as guidance on starting a GSA (Gay-Straight or Gender and Sexuality Alliance) at your school.
- https://www.glsen.org/educate/resources/curriculum– resources for educators
- https://www.glsen.org/educate/resources/lesson-plans– lesson plans
- https://www.glsen.org/educate/professional-development/toolkits– professional development toolkits, including a Safe Space toolkit
- http://www.indianagsanetwork.org/– Indiana Gender and Sexuality Alliance (state-level support)
- https://www.glaad.org/– Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation
- https://www.thetrevorproject.org/#sm.00ycdnjl1bvqdin10o72hngcv2a1v– The Trevor Project- support for LGBTQ+ youth considering suicide; talk and text lines
- ASCA’s LGBTQ+ Position Statement: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_LGBTQ.pdf
- ASCA’s Position Statement: Transgender and Non-Conforming Youth: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_Transgender.pdf
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Kelly Dunn on April 20, 2018.
- April 20, 2018 @ 15:48:27
- April 20, 2018 @ 15:48:02
- December 20, 2017 @ 22:02:17
- December 20, 2017 @ 21:54:42
- December 20, 2017 @ 21:37:51
- December 20, 2017 @ 21:33:57
- December 20, 2017 @ 21:25:40
- November 20, 2017 @ 19:19:24
- August 7, 2016 @ 21:18:40
This post was created by Kelly Johnson on August 7, 2016.