The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) requests State Board of Education (SBOE) approval for the civics course standards and routine Science standards review and adoption. Specific details are noted below. In accordance with Indiana Code 20-19-2-14.7, IDOE convened an educator committee in October 2021 to define Indiana Academic Standards that would comprise the middle school civics course for review and approval by SBOE.
The committee reviewed current government standards in grades three through eight and identified specific standards to comprise the civics course and shared the following recommendations:
● The middle school civics course should be required for all grade six students during the second semester. All other grade six social studies standards should be taught to grade six students during the first semester;
● The standards identified for the civics course should also remain at their respective grade levels strengthen and scaffold civics education at each grade level; and
● Eight current grade six geography standards should be assigned to grades seven (three standards) and eight (five standards), where applicable, to ease instructional load. No existing standards should be removed from grades seven and eight.
- ○ Proposed Grade 6 Civics Standards.
- ○ Proposed Grade 6 Social Studies Standards.
- ○ Proposed Grade 7 Social Studies Standards (includes three Geography standards from Grade 6).
- ○ Proposed Grade 8 Social Studies Standards (includes five Geography standards from Grade 6).
- (Counselortalk 8/17/22 – Katie Preston): Guidance from the DOE—dated June 2022
- What I have learned
If you have suggestions, feedback, or resources, please email email@example.com and let us know.