Teen pregnancy is a topic that is both potentially legally and ethically challenging for school counselors. Such challenging subtopics can include, but are not limited to: statutory rape, duty to report, ethics involving around notifying parents, abortion and adoption, child care, etc. The following resources are intended to support school counselors support students and families.
- It is critical that school counselors practice first legality and ideally ethics in these cases.
- The legal age of consent for sex in the state of Indiana is 16 years of age.
- District Policy and Student Pregnancy-from ASCA
- Indiana Age of Consent Laws-2017
- Indiana DCS Child Welfare Manual
- Consult, consult, consult! The issues are often ethically challenging to navigate alone. Consult with other counselors, administrators, and possibly a school resource officer before taking action.
- While students are our priority, parents have an ethical and legal right to be a guiding force in their student(s) lives.
- Let school administrators know about policies that are or could potentially put students in danger, in regards to teen pregnancy.
- Q: Can you please tell me if Sex Ed is covered at your level and who teaches it? We have seen a rise in teen pregnancies in my district and are looking for ways to help educate our students on the topic (and others related). If this topic is covered, what curriculum do you use?
- A: We use the CPR curriculum at our Jr. High.
If you have suggestions, feedback, or resources, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.