Teen pregnancy is a topic that is both potentially legally and ethically challenging for school counselors. Such challenging subtopics can include, but are not limited to: statutory rape, duty to report, ethics involving around notifying parents, abortion and adoption, child care, etc. The following resources are intended to support school counselors support students and families.
- It is critical that school counselors practice first legality and ideally ethics in these cases.
- The legal age of consent for sex in the state of Indiana is 16 years of age.
- Consult, consult, consult! The issues are often ethically challenging to navigate alone. Consult with other counselors, administrators, and possibly a school resource officer before taking action.
- While students are our priority, parents have an ethical and legal right to be a guiding force in their student(s) lives.
- Let school administrators know about policies that are or could potentially put students in danger, in regards to teen pregnancy.
- District Policy and Student Pregnancy-from ASCA
- Indiana Age of Consent Laws-2017
- Indiana DCS Child Welfare Manual
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on September 22, 2017 @ 17:16:31
- Kelly on September 22, 2017 @ 17:13:41
- Heather on August 7, 2016 @ 22:22:24
This post was created by MNOP ContentManager on August 7, 2016.