Teen pregnancy is a topic that is both potentially legally and ethically challenging for school counselors. Such challenging subtopics can include, but are not limited to: statutory rape, duty to report, ethics involving around notifying parents, abortion and adoption, child care, etc. The following resources are intended to support school counselors support students and families.
- It is critical that school counselors practice first legality and ideally ethics in these cases.
- The legal age of consent for sex in the state of Indiana is 16 years of age.
- Consult, consult, consult! The issues are often ethically challenging to navigate alone. Consult with other counselors, administrators, and possibly a school resource officer before taking action.
- While students are our priority, parents have an ethical and legal right to be a guiding force in their student(s) lives.
- Let school administrators know about policies that are or could potentially put students in danger, in regards to teen pregnancy.
- District Policy and Student Pregnancy-from ASCA
- Indiana Age of Consent Laws-2017
- Indiana DCS Child Welfare Manual
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on September 22, 2017.
- September 22, 2017 @ 17:16:31
- September 22, 2017 @ 17:13:41
- August 7, 2016 @ 22:22:24
This post was created by MNOP ContentManager on August 7, 2016.