Self-care is asking yourself what you need and following through with that action. Self-care is essential to our physical and emotional well-being. Self-care helps us increase our capacity to impact others. Self-care is different for each person. Those in education especially need a self-care plan due to working with students who have experienced trauma. Educators and counselors can suffer from compassion fatigue, also called secondary trauma or vicarious trauma.
- Self-care is essential to our physical and emotional well-being.
- Self-care is especially important to those in education due to working with students who have experienced trauma because they may be experiencing compassion fatigue.
- Teaching ties with the medical profession for high job stress.
- Article: “Compassion Fatigue: The Thief in our Schools” by Cheri Brown Sizemore. http://www.ascd.org/ascd-express/vol11/1118-sizemore.aspx
- Article: “Six Ways for Educators to Avoid Compassion Fatigue.” https://lesley.edu/article/six-ways-for-educators-to-avoid-compassion-fatigue
- Article: “When Students Are Traumatized so Are Teachers” by Emilina Minero. https://www.edutopia.org/article/when-students-are-traumatized-teachers-are-too
- Article: “Self Care for Teachers of Traumatized Students” by Jennifer Gunn. https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/classroom-resources/self-care-for-teachers/
- Article: 10 Relaxing Yoga Poses to Prevent Teacher Burn-Out” by The Room 241 Team. https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/lifestyle/calming-yoga-poses/
- Article: “How Educators Can Unplug and How Stress Affects Us” by Jennifer Gunn. https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/lifestyle/stress-relief-for-educators/
- Article: “4 Ways for Frazzled Teachers to Fend off Stress and Burn-out” by Margaret Steen. https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/lifestyle/teachers-stress-tips/
- Article: “When Teachers Experience Empathetic Distress” by Rebecca Alber. https://www.edutopia.org/article/when-teachers-experience-empathic-distress
- Article: “Self Care for Teachers” by Anne Brunette. https://www.wcu.edu/WebFiles/PDFs/CEAP-HS-BK_Self-CareForTeachers.pdf
- Article: “What is Compassion Fatigue?” https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/psychpedia/compassion-fatigue
- Article: “Teachers Supporting Teachers” by Allison Ricket. https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/teachers-supporting-teachers
- Article with links to resources to use: “Toolkit for ‘I thought about Quitting Today….” https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/fall-2015/toolkit-for-i-thought-about-quitting-today
- Article: “The ABCs for STOP: 3 Short Mindful Breaks for your Day” by Christiane Wolfe. https://www.mindful.org/abcs-stop-three-short-mindful-breaks-day/
- Article: “Secondary Trauma for Educators: Understanding and Mitigating the Effects” by Jessica Lander. https://www.kqed.org/mindshift/52281/secondary-traumatic-stress-for-educators-understanding-and-mitigating-the-effects
- Article: “The Importance of Self Care for Administrators by Jessica Caben. https://www.edutopia.org/article/importance-self-care-administrators
- Article: “7 Reasons It’s Important to Switch off During School Holiday” by Kate Beddow. https://www.calmerclassrooms.co.uk/7-reasons-important-relax-switch-off-school-holidays/
- Article: “How to Switch off During School Holidays” by Kate Beddow. https://www.calmerclassrooms.co.uk/switch-off-holidays/
- Article: “A 5-Minute Gratitude Practice” by Elaine Smookler. https://www.mindful.org/5-minute-gratitude-practice-focus-good-tapping-senses/?mc_cid=2623c426ef&mc_eid=c57bf1ca01
- Article: “The Most Courageous Self Care Act: Learning to Say ‘I Need Help'” by Shelly Tygielski. https://www.mindful.org/the-most-courageous-self-care-act-learning-to-say-i-need-help/?mc_cid=3c3eb5c3b9&mc_eid=c57bf1ca01
- Article: “Feeling Overwhelmed? Remember RAIN'” by Tara Brach. https://www.mindful.org/tara-brach-rain-mindfulness-practice/?mc_cid=3c3eb5c3b9&mc_eid=c57bf1ca01
- Article: “Why you Need a Self Care Plan” by Shelly Tygielski. https://www.mindful.org/why-you-need-a-self-care-plan/?mc_cid=15944b815a&mc_eid=c57bf1ca01
- Article: “6 Strategies for Finding your Calm” by Lori Desautles. https://www.edutopia.org/article/6-strategies-finding-your-calm?fbclid=IwAR3-W_hK8jFpxXw0b-xZtwz9Bkd4kSxIVI-jCi09lJ0f995CZYCvUPZtdao
- Article: “Simple Tips for Boosting Teacher Resilience” by Elena Aguilar. https://www.edutopia.org/article/simple-tips-boosting-teacher-resilience?utm_source=Edutopia+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4ab871569e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_021319_enews_decodingtheteen&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f72e8cc8c4-4ab871569e-85099175
- Article: “Can Mindfulness Help Stressed Teachers Stay in the Classroom?” by Chris Berdik. https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/can-mindfulness-help-stressed-teachers-stay-in-the-classroom
- Article: “Teachers Need Peace Corners, Too” by Amelia Harper. https://www.educationdive.com/news/teachers-need-peace-corners-too/551309/
- Article: “Why Adults Need Social and Emotional Support, Too” by Matthew Portell. http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/learning_social_emotional/2018/05/why_adults_need_social_and_emotional_support_too.html
- Video: “Prioritizing Teacher Self Care” https://www.edutopia.org/video/prioritizing-teacher-self-care
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- firstname.lastname@example.org on April 20, 2019 @ 19:12:42
- email@example.com on April 14, 2019 @ 00:01:55
- firstname.lastname@example.org on April 7, 2019 @ 11:03:58
- email@example.com on March 31, 2019 @ 11:27:43
- firstname.lastname@example.org on March 31, 2019 @ 11:24:56
- email@example.com on March 30, 2019 @ 14:26:47
- firstname.lastname@example.org on March 26, 2019 @ 15:54:35
- email@example.com on March 26, 2019 @ 15:35:50
- firstname.lastname@example.org on March 26, 2019 @ 15:13:39
- email@example.com on March 26, 2019 @ 15:03:48
- firstname.lastname@example.org on March 26, 2019 @ 14:48:46
- Kelly on September 20, 2018 @ 18:11:35
This post was created by Trudi Wolfe on September 20, 2018.