Use this section to briefly describe or define this topic area.
- Bullet 1
- Bullet 2
- Certificate of Incapacity and 504: Cathy Danyluk with the Indiana Department of Education, who clarified that this is a confusing issue, but that a 504 is NOT required (Counselor Talk, November 2017)
- Parent and student behavior components: many of us are writing parent and student behavior components into 504s. However in reality, we can not force parents to follow them. By writing it in the 504 we are acknowledging that parents and students have responsibilities but that is as far as we can go.
- Students suffering from anxiety and depression, affecting school attendance:
Our special education cooperative representative…explained that an adjusted schedule/attendance plan could be a  accommodation. We required medical notes with statements recommending the adjustment. We had our building principal attend the 504 meeting to be sure the parents were on the same page as far as the seriousness of there actually needing to be effort put into getting this student into the building. With an emphasis being that the more time spent out of the building then the more anxiety there will be when they return…Maybe a “guidance pass” could be part of the 504 as well. We provide a guidance pass as an accommodation for students that need to get out of class and take a quick break for one emotional reason or another. (Counselor Talk, Sept. 2017)
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on November 21, 2017.
- November 21, 2017 @ 15:48:22
- October 19, 2017 @ 18:23:24
- September 11, 2017 @ 18:35:22
- June 5, 2017 @ 14:37:59
- August 7, 2016 @ 20:14:42
This post was created by EFGH ContentManager on August 7, 2016.