As it applies to School Counseling, Career Awareness is a recommended stage in the Career Development process for Elementary level students. The focus of Career Awareness is to introduce K-5 students to the many types of careers that exist, different working environments, foster a positive attitude toward work and to help students understand the connection between academics and their future career . Career Awareness also introduces the idea that a career is more than a job. Career Awareness is usually taught through guidance lessons, classroom or school speakers and activities where students can learn more about different types of tasks related to careers and expand their knowledge of different types of careers.
- Most often applies to Elementary Level (K-5) students.
- Self-Knowledge as it relates to career choices is a component of Career Awareness, i.e., identifying interests that relate to careers.
- At this level, students should have knowledge of how habits such as attendance, punctuality, and completing schoolwork on time transfer to the workforce.
- Q: Looking for online career resources for elementary school?
- Career Exploration Sites
- Everfi (fee involved)
- Kuder Galaxy (fee involved)
- Paws in Jobland (fee involved)
- www.pacareerzone.org – Interest assessments, job families, specific careers, what training is needed, budgeting, and much more
careervideos/ – career videos discussing the typical day, qualifications, best and worst part of the career, and advice.
mappingyourfuture.org/ planyourcareer/careership/ index.cfm – career matches to interests, to clusters, and specific career review
educationplanner.org/ – self assessments, career planning, career search, high education exploration
org/explore/ip – O*NET Interest Profiler has 60 questions using a Likert Scale. Provides a colorful graph with results and links to explore careers in that area
careeronestop.org/toolkit/ careers/interest-assessment. aspx Interest Assessment with 30 questions gives Holland Codes and career suggestions to explore
careersinthemilitary.com/ guided-exploration Interest Inventory for military careers
test/photo-career-quiz – Photo interest assessment gives the top interest areas and allows career exploration; based on Holland Code
test/holland-code-career-test – Holland Code career test
- To build a college and career ready culture in schools, you must minimally begin with career awareness at the elementary level.
- From Counselortalk, April 2018: When I was looking into career topic lessons, I stumbled upon this on a counselor’s page. Click on the first link (towards the bottom of the page) and you can have access to Jobland. Really happy I found this so I could explore it myself! https://www.greensburgsalem.org/Page/3134
- Lesson idea: On or around President’s Day (3rd Monday of February), I hosted a group of five presidents (local bank, local community college, non-profit, Springfield Thunderbirds (local American Hockey league) and the Big E (New England’s State Fair) who spoke to the entire 5th grade at an assembly in the auditorium about what it is like to be a president of something. When we hear the word president, most of us go to the President of the country but there are plenty of other types of presidents out there. The panelists were awesome and did a fabulous job talking to the 5th graders about how they became a president of a business, something they never thought would have been possible when they were in 5th grade. They also shared the attributes that the students would need to become a president of something someday. It was the perfect age group – old enough to appreciate the conversation and begin to think about their futures but not too old. Confession – I got this idea from an ASCA conference two years ago. (from ASCA Scene, July 2020)
- Career Exploration Sites
- NCDA Free Resources for Career Development (by level): http://www.ncda.org/aws/NCDA/pt/sd/news_article/6237/_self/layout_details/true
- ASCA College and Career Readiness in Elementary School: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/school-counselors-members/professional-development/2015-webinar-series/webinar-learn-more-pages/college-and-career-readiness-in-elementary-school
- ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors for Student Success: http://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/home/MindsetsBehaviors.pdf
- Indiana Student Standards for Guidance, see K-2 and 3-5 Career Development Standards: http://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default/files/standards/guidance/09-01-2003-Guidance.pdf
- Indiana Universal Student Indicators for Guidance, see K-12 and 3-5 Career Development Standards: http://www.indianaschoolcounselor.org/Resources/Documents/INUniversalStudentIndicators.pdf
- Indiana Career Explorer
- 14 Career Resources from Indiana School Counselor Survey 1-10-14
- Ready Up Career Assessments and Interest Inventories used in IN
- National Center for Women In Information Technology (NCWIT) – The National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT) is the only national non-profit focused on women’s participation in computing across the entire ecosystem, helping more than 1,100 organizations recruit, retain, and advance women from K-12 and higher education through industry and entrepreneurial careers by providing support, evidence, and action. NCWIT is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, chartered in 2004 by the National Science Foundation. The following are resources NCWIT developed in collaboration with their social science team and are based on research:
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on January 25, 2021 @ 13:38:07
- Kelly on December 16, 2020 @ 18:46:02
- Kelly on July 16, 2020 @ 13:23:50
- Kelly on December 3, 2018 @ 20:13:55
- 1StopABCD on May 3, 2018 @ 20:30:11
- Mary on April 19, 2018 @ 20:44:14
- Mary on April 19, 2018 @ 20:24:50
- Kelly on April 19, 2018 @ 18:55:56
- Mary on March 7, 2018 @ 20:07:04
- Mary on February 28, 2018 @ 20:42:36
- Mary on February 28, 2018 @ 20:41:33
- Kelly on January 17, 2018 @ 19:35:30
- Kelly on September 6, 2017 @ 18:54:14
- Kelly on September 6, 2017 @ 18:50:40
- Kelly on September 6, 2017 @ 18:32:16
- Kelly on September 6, 2017 @ 18:31:50
- Heather on August 26, 2016 @ 21:35:35
- Heather on August 5, 2016 @ 23:41:36
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 5, 2016.