As it applies to School Counseling, Career Awareness is a recommended stage in the Career Development process for Elementary level students. The focus of Career Awareness is to introduce K-5 students to the many types of careers that exist, different working environments, foster a positive attitude toward work and to help students understand the connection between academics and their future career . Career Awareness also introduces the idea that a career is more than a job. Career Awareness is usually taught through guidance lessons, classroom or school speakers and activities where students can learn more about different types of tasks related to careers and expand their knowledge of different types of careers.
- Most often applies to Elementary Level (K-5) students.
- Self-Knowledge as it relates to career choices is a component of Career Awareness, i.e., identifying interests that relate to careers.
- At this level, students should have knowledge of how habits such as attendance, punctuality, and completing schoolwork on time transfer to the workforce.
- To build a college and career ready culture in schools, you must minimally begin with career awareness at the elementary level.
- What I have learned
- NCDA Free Resources for Career Development (by level): http://www.ncda.org/aws/NCDA/pt/sd/news_article/6237/_self/layout_details/true
- ASCA College and Career Readiness in Elementary School: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/school-counselors-members/professional-development/2015-webinar-series/webinar-learn-more-pages/college-and-career-readiness-in-elementary-school
- ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors for Student Success: http://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/home/MindsetsBehaviors.pdf
- Indiana Student Standards for Guidance, see K-2 and 3-5 Career Development Standards: http://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default/files/standards/guidance/09-01-2003-Guidance.pdf
- Indiana Universal Student Indicators for Guidance, see K-12 and 3-5 Career Development Standards: http://www.indianaschoolcounselor.org/Resources/Documents/INUniversalStudentIndicators.pdf
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on August 26, 2016.
- August 26, 2016 @ 21:35:35
- August 5, 2016 @ 23:41:36
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 5, 2016.