College GO! Week is an annual, statewide event to promote enrollment in two- and four-year colleges across Indiana. College Go! Week 2015 is set for September 21-25. Schools are encouraged to promote enrollment in college with a weekly scheduled of events, based on this theme, such as having presentations by college admissions representatives, trivia contests, and daily announcements.
- College Go! Week is part of “College Go!” which takes place each August-November with information and resources designed to help Indiana students plan for education beyond high school. The official “College GO!” kick-off is always the last full week of September (September 21-25, 2015), and is known as “College Go! Week,” but you can incorporate College GO! activities and events whenever they fit into your calendar. Some schools select their own week during this time period to do their “College Go! Week” so that it better fits into their school calendar.
- The definition of college for College GO! Week includes other postsecondary options, such as apprenticeship programs.
- There is a recommended focus for activities at each grade level: Elementary level recommendations focus on college awareness and why college is important. Middle level recommendations focus on high school diplomas, college degrees and career goals. High school level recommendations focus on programs of study, finding the right school/program and the application process.
- Learn More Indiana (http://www.learnmoreindiana.org/) provides many resources, activities, and a suggested schedule of events for College Go! Week.
- What I have learned 1: To have a fun, successful and energizing College GO! Week, it is best to plan in advance (even asking college admissions representatives months before hand to come and speak to students that week and asking them to send posters and pennants for your school-wide decoration), publicize the week and schedule of events by announcing in school newsletters and other school media and get the help of school staff and the school community in launching and planning your events. For instance, getting teachers involved in door decoration contests, art students and/or student council members can make their own college posters, student groups can decorate and maintain a hallway or area of the school for the week, the school administration can read college related trivia over the announcements each day, etc. Your PTO could help by hosting a parent information night on college admissions, scholarships, etc. or yo could ask your 21st Century Scholars representative to speak at a parent night and/or during student classes.
- What I have learned 2: There is usually an essay contest for a student scholarship during College Go! Week and it is best to get the word out about the topic, requirements, and deadline, well in advance. There is also usually a grant that schools can apply for to further their college-going promotion efforts. Both are sponsored by Learn More Indiana.
- 2015 College GO! Week College Application Manual: http://www.in.gov/collegegoweek/files/2015_Indiana_College_Application_Day_Manual_7-24-15.pdf
- College GO! Week brochure: http://www.in.gov/21stcenturyscholars/files/2015_CG_Promo_One-Pager_08_25_15.pdf
- Learn More’s College GO! Week resources (MANY – scroll down past the 2014 info): http://www.in.gov/collegegoweek/2440.htm
- College Go! Week Classroom Materials: http://www.learnmoreindiana.org/educators/k-12-counselors-and-teachers/classroom-materials/
- Program definition, sponsor (Learn More Indiana) – website has not yet switched over to the 2015 year: http://www.in.gov/collegegoweek/2383.htm
- College Planning Checklists for students in grades K-12, college students and adults: http://www.in.gov/collegegoweek/2380.htm
- Counselor Resources for College GO! Week- shipments arrive at your school with ideas of how to use them, lesson plans for K-12 available, ideas for activities, events and contests available, sample announcements and numerous handouts available- this is AMAZING SO LOOK AT THIS: http://www.in.gov/collegegoweek/2440.htm & http://www.in.gov/collegegoweek/2441.htm
- College GO! Week contest information available for grade K-5 and 6-12 with prizes: http://www.in.gov/collegegoweek/2379.htm
- Cascade High School Program Flyer for example of College GO! Week activities: http://mccsc.k12.in.us/staff/files/jfowler/2012%20College%20go%20week%20flyer.pdf
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on August 26, 2016.
- August 26, 2016 @ 21:43:02
- August 7, 2016 @ 18:17:26
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 7, 2016.