This page is currently under construction. If you have related content or resources to add, you may submit it via the “Contact Topic Manager” box below.
The completion of Core 40 is an Indiana graduation requirement. To graduate with less than Core 40 (one option is the Indiana General Diploma), a formal opt-out process must be completed. This is due to the fact that Indiana’s Core 40 curriculum is considered to provide the academic foundation all students need to succeed in college and the workforce. Indiana’s General Diploma option is an opt-out of the Core 40 diploma, but still requires 40 semester credits. It is a less rigorous diploma option than the Core 40. The Certificate of Completion is also an option for students who opt-out of the Core 40 curriculum. Although most students with disabilities are capable of earning a diploma, for a small population of students, the Certificate of Completion path may be determined as more appropriate by a case conference committee.
See also Indiana’s General Diploma.
See also Certificate of Completion.
See also Core 40 (Indiana).
- To graduate with less than Core 40, the following formal opt-out process must be completed:
- The student, the student’s parent/guardian, and the student’s counselor (or another staff member who assists students in course selection) meet to discuss the student’s progress.
- The student’s career and course plan is reviewed.
- The student’s parent/guardian determines whether the student will achieve greater educational benefits by completing the general curriculum or the Core 40 curriculum.
- If the decision is made to opt-out of Core 40, the student is required to complete the course and credit requirements for a general diploma and the career/academic sequence the student will pursue is determined.
- A list of Core 40 Opt-Out Triggers and legislation related to the Core 40 Opt-Out process can be found here.
- What I have learned
- What I have learned
- Opt-Out Process for Indiana’s Core 40 Graduation Requirements
- IDOE Student Services/Student Assistance/Academic Guidance page (see Indiana Diploma Requirements section)
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Kelly Dunn on July 13, 2018.
- July 13, 2018 @ 17:19:31
- July 12, 2018 @ 20:23:33
- May 30, 2018 @ 18:18:39
- August 7, 2016 @ 20:26:36
This post was created by EFGH ContentManager on August 7, 2016.