While discipline is not an appropriate task for a school counselor, we have insights and knowledge that are extremely helpful and can inform discipline procedures in schools. We have an obligation to advocate for policies that consider the whole child and are trauma informed.
- Relationship building is up paramount importance to any behavior plan.
- Teach and focus on the behavior you want to see.
- Comprehensive Positive School Discipline Resource Guide (Indiana Department of Education)
- Positive School Discipline template – this resource will provide possible examples to assist in revising current practices to reflect positive school discipline best practices (Indiana Department of Education)
- Checklist for Analyzing Discipline Policies for Equity
- Behavior Impact
- The Kids We Lose – A feature-length documentary about what happens to behaviorally-challenged children when they enter schools where educators are not able to mitigate the nonconforming behaviors. The film’s investigative focus is on how the system uses discipline rather than effective measures, leading to a school-to-prison pipeline for many disadvantaged students.
If you have suggestions, feedback, or resources, please email email@example.com and let us know.