Although divorce rates are currently at a 40-year low, it is an issue that continues to impact many of our students on a daily basis. In addition, many of our students are living in single-parent homes where their parents were never married and even more are living with a grandparent or other relative. All of this simply means that we must be extremely sensitive and mindful when we talk about family dynamics with our students.
- When reaching out about an issue with a child when the parents are divorced, it is important to contact both parents and share the same information. Check the cum folder for custodial arrangements when you are unsure.
- Support groups are a great way for children and teens to process their feeling about family issues.
- A guardian ad litem is sometimes appointed by the court in particularly complicated situations. Their job is to determine the best outcome for the child and they can be a wonderful ally in advocating for children.
- Always follow a child’s lead on defining their family members. For example, some children don’t use terms like step-parent and if they don’t, neither should we.
- Divorce Jenga banana splits jenga
- Children of Divorce Bill of Rights child of divorce bill of rights
- Wonderful (song by Everclear-you can find the music video on YouTube) Wonderful
- Counselortalk ideas Counselortalk suggestions March 2017
- This item is copyrighted. Call the number at the bottom of the document to get permission. divorce teen guide
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on March 1, 2017.
- March 1, 2017 @ 19:15:04
- March 1, 2017 @ 15:07:15
- February 28, 2017 @ 19:09:52
- August 7, 2016 @ 18:58:31
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 7, 2016.