Although divorce rates are currently at a 40-year low, it is an issue that continues to impact many of our students on a daily basis. In addition, many of our students are living in single-parent homes where their parents were never married and even more are living with a grandparent or other relative. All of this simply means that we must be extremely sensitive and mindful when we talk about family dynamics with our students.
- When reaching out about an issue with a child when the parents are divorced, it is important to contact both parents and share the same information. Check the cum folder for custodial arrangements when you are unsure.
- Support groups are a great way for children and teens to process their feeling about family issues.
- A guardian ad litem is sometimes appointed by the court in particularly complicated situations. Their job is to determine the best outcome for the child and they can be a wonderful ally in advocating for children.
- Always follow a child’s lead on defining their family members. For example, some children don’t use terms like step-parent and if they don’t, neither should we.
- Divorce Jenga banana splits jenga
- Children of Divorce Bill of Rights child of divorce bill of rights
- Wonderful (song by Everclear-you can find the music video on YouTube) Wonderful
- Counselortalk ideas Counselortalk suggestions March 2017
- This item is copyrighted. Call the number at the bottom of the document to get permission. divorce teen guide
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- 1StopABCD on March 1, 2017 @ 19:15:04
- 1StopABCD on March 1, 2017 @ 15:07:15
- 1StopABCD on February 28, 2017 @ 19:09:52
- Heather on August 7, 2016 @ 18:58:31
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 7, 2016.