The annual performance evaluation of school counselors should accurately reflect the unique professional training and practices of school counselors working within a comprehensive school counseling program. These written evaluations should use forms and tools specifically designed for school counselors, based on documents such as the School Counselor Competencies and the School Counselor Performance Appraisal from the ASCA National Model.
- The key purpose of the school counselor performance evaluation is to enhance the positive effect the school coun-selor and the school counseling program have on students and school stakeholders (VSCA, 2008).
- The primary purposes of the annual performance evaluation are to ensure the school counselor’s effectiveness,impact, high-level performance and continued professional growth (Dimmitt, 2009).
- Indiana School Counselor Evaluation Tool (from ISCA)
- ASCA School Counselor Performance Appraisal
- SLO example (2016)
- SLO example:6th grade counseling groups
- Counselor SLO Categories & Examples
- Considerations for Evaluating Indiana Student Services Personnel (IDOE school counselor communities in the Learning Connection)
- Counselor SLO Samples (IDOE school counselor communities in the Learning Connection)
- Guidance for Assessing a School Counselor (IDOE school counselor communities in the Learning Connection)
- SLO Examples (IDOE school counselor communities in the Learning Connection)
- SLO Examples for 6th grade (IDOE school counselor communities in the Learning Connection)
- Wisconsin School Counselor Performance Evaluation
- Minnesota School Counselor Evaluation Tool
- Michigan School Counselor Performance Evaluation Tool
- New Jersey School Counselor Evaluation Model
- Ohio School Counselor Standards and Evaluation
- Virigina Sample School Counselor Performance Report
- Q: If you are evaluated on a separate rubric for counselors (not on a teacher rubric), can you send me your rubric?
- A: Here is an example from Goshen schools
- Q: What does your district have counselors do to meet the Individual Growth Measure/Student Learning Outcomes portion of their evaluation model?
If you have suggestions, feedback, or resources, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.