Everyone experiences stress and anxiety to some degree but some people are less equipped to handle these feelings due to traumatic experiences, unstable homes or innate character traits. Counselors can help students and their families deal with anxiety in healthy ways.
- Mindfulness can be a useful tool for combating anxiety.
- Long-term anxiety can manifest in emotional and physical symptoms.
- Sometimes, anxiety can look like ADD and even ODD in children so it is good to explore all triggers of behaviors.
- Anxious children benefit from structure and predictability.
- From Counselor Talk, October 2018:
- Q: Does anyone have a great app for managing anxiety that is simple to use?
- A: Breathing Bubbles & Settle Your Glitter are great.
- A: I have also used Smiling Mind and MindShift (recommended by an LMHC) for anxiety. Smiling Mind has all different age levels. Mindshift has some some chill out tools, has an electronic journal, had a “thinking right” tool that helps explore the thinking processes, and a ton of other items to help with anxiety. Perfect for anyone with some anxiety looking for help and coping strategies.
- A: MindShift is great!
A:Breathe 2 Relax (several recommended)Mind Shift (several recommended)Settle Your GlitterBreathing BubblesCalmHeadspaceStop, Breathe, ThinkSmiling MindCalm Classroom
- Anxiety tips for parents
- Counselortalk responses 2011
- Teacher training by Amy Winkler
- Anxiety PD Practice Scenarios
- Anxiety Group curriculum
- A worry group curriculum
- Anxiety Disorders (PowerPoint presentation) from IUPUI graduate counseling course, Fall semester 2018
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Heather on October 11, 2018.
- October 11, 2018 @ 14:51:18
- October 9, 2018 @ 18:03:58
- October 9, 2018 @ 18:00:32
- October 9, 2018 @ 17:59:14
- October 4, 2018 @ 20:25:26
- August 8, 2018 @ 01:13:41
- July 30, 2018 @ 02:36:56
- September 6, 2017 @ 17:34:03
- June 16, 2017 @ 14:02:24
- April 6, 2017 @ 17:36:00
- January 2, 2017 @ 20:19:44
- December 22, 2016 @ 17:25:34
- August 5, 2016 @ 20:45:18
This post was created by ABCD ContentManager on August 5, 2016.