The topic of suicide, whether considered, attempted, or completed, has been stigmatized by society for many years. Fortunately, increased awareness and support is becoming available as the reality of mental illness as a precursor is more accepted. School counselors should be at the forefront of being knowledgeable about the myths and facts concerning suicide, as well as means of support.
- Most people (of any age) are experiencing some form of mental illness at the time they consider, attempt, or complete suicide.
- If warning signs are known, almost all instances of suicide are preventable.
- Risk Assessment info from Counselortalk (Sept. 2017)
- Suicide Screening: My recommendation is the Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale (evidence-based tool). Screening Tool and the full assessment. It is important that anyone that would be assessing and/or screening receive training on these tools. (From Dr. Brandie Oliver, Counselor Talk, November 2017)
- This is one of the ways we are attempting to counteract the Netflix series “13 Reasons Why”: Response from Counselor Talk; 13 Reasons Why You Matter
- Frequently Asked Questions from Teachers on Indiana’s New Mandatory Suicide Prevention Training (from LaPorte High School)
- Prevention Training:
- ASCA’s position statement on social/emotional development: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_SocialEmotional.pdf
- Suicide Prevention & Response: A Comprehensive Resource Guide for Indiana Schools
- Suicide Prevention Week Guidance Update Newsletter from Morgan Township (IN) Middle-High School
- What We All Want to Say About Suicide (YouTube video)
- The Kevin Hines Story (YouTube video)
- To This Day Project (YouTube video)
- Ryan’s Story-Presentation for Schools (YouTube video)
- NBAS Risk Screening Form
- ASCA’s position statement on student mental health: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_StudentMentalHealth.pdf
- ASCA’s position statement on at-risk intervention: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_AtRisk.pdf
- After a Suicide Toolkit for Schools
- Coalition to Support Grieving Children
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
This post was last modified by Kelly Dunn on May 30, 2018.
- May 30, 2018 @ 17:32:23
- May 30, 2018 @ 17:24:23
- April 20, 2018 @ 17:39:26
- April 20, 2018 @ 17:10:07
- April 20, 2018 @ 17:04:51
- April 20, 2018 @ 17:04:46 [Autosave]
- April 20, 2018 @ 17:01:02
- April 20, 2018 @ 16:57:57
This post was created by Kelly Johnson on April 20, 2018.