The topic of suicide, whether considered, attempted, or completed, has been stigmatized by society for many years. Fortunately, increased awareness and support is becoming available as the reality of mental illness as a precursor is more accepted. School counselors should be at the forefront of being knowledgeable about the myths and facts concerning suicide, as well as means of support.
- Most people (of any age) are experiencing some form of mental illness at the time they consider, attempt, or complete suicide.
- If warning signs are known, almost all instances of suicide are preventable.
- Question: Does anyone have an information night for parents about suicide awareness/prevention?
- A link to the Children’s Safety Network with a listing of great resources: https://www.
childrenssafetynetwork.org/ sites/childrenssafetynetwork. org/files/ SuicidePreventionResourceGuide 2017.pdf
- Suicide prevention lessons for middle school (Counselor Talk, December 2018)
- We work with Brian Harvey from Positive Approach to Teen Health and have had great feedback.
- I too have had the opportunity to work with Positive Approach to Teen Health’s team over the past decade, as a School Counselor and subsequently as an Administrator. I have had nothing but solid, positive interaction and results for my students.
- Our program “Positive Potential” has a lesson within it that deals specifically with suicide awareness and prevention. We serve several schools throughout NWI and we have had significant positive outcomes around this topic:
PATH, Inc., Portage, IN, www.PositiveTeenHealth.org
- Question: Do you post suicide prevention information in your junior or senior high school hallways, cafeterias, etc.? (From Counselor Talk, August 2018)
- We purchased some positive message decals through seeyourstrength.com. They are mirror decals with a variety of positive messages but they also include some suicide hotline clings. We used these in combination in all of our restrooms. (Lebanon High School)
- I post information about suicide prevention at my high school, such as:1) Suicide prevention information and hotline/text numbers. (Note: Typically, teens prefer texting a crisis line rather than calling).
2) I have Lifeline cards that I distribute to students.
3) Check out my FB page at LPHS Slicer Support Services for postings about suicide prevention. (LaPorte High School)
- Risk Assessment info from Counselortalk (Sept. 2017)
- Suicide Screening: My recommendation is the Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale (evidence-based tool). Screening Tool and the full assessment. It is important that anyone that would be assessing and/or screening receive training on these tools. (From Dr. Brandie Oliver, Counselor Talk, November 2017)
- This is one of the ways we are attempting to counteract the Netflix series “13 Reasons Why”: Response from Counselor Talk; 13 Reasons Why You Matter
- Frequently Asked Questions from Teachers on Indiana’s New Mandatory Suicide Prevention Training (from LaPorte High School)
- Prevention Training:
- ASCA’s position statement on social/emotional development: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_SocialEmotional.pdf
- Suicide Prevention & Response: A Comprehensive Resource Guide for Indiana Schools
- Suicide Prevention Week Guidance Update Newsletter from Morgan Township (IN) Middle-High School
- What We All Want to Say About Suicide (YouTube video)
- The Kevin Hines Story (YouTube video)
- To This Day Project (YouTube video)
- Ryan’s Story-Presentation for Schools (YouTube video)
- NBAS Risk Screening Form
- ASCA’s position statement on student mental health: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_StudentMentalHealth.pdf
- ASCA’s position statement on at-risk intervention: https://www.schoolcounselor.org/asca/media/asca/PositionStatements/PS_AtRisk.pdf
- After a Suicide Toolkit for Schools
- Coalition to Support Grieving Children
- Suicide Safety Plan Resources (Counselor Talk, August 2018)
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on December 18, 2018 @ 17:29:50
- Kelly on December 13, 2018 @ 21:31:56
- Kelly on December 13, 2018 @ 21:29:33
- Kelly on August 29, 2018 @ 18:40:32
- Kelly on August 29, 2018 @ 18:40:15
- Kelly on August 29, 2018 @ 18:24:00
- Kelly on August 14, 2018 @ 00:41:31
- Kelly on August 14, 2018 @ 00:39:32
- Kelly on August 14, 2018 @ 00:39:09
- Kelly on August 14, 2018 @ 00:38:34
- Kelly on May 30, 2018 @ 17:32:23
- Kelly on May 30, 2018 @ 17:24:23
- KellyJ on April 20, 2018 @ 17:39:26
- Kelly on April 20, 2018 @ 17:10:07
- Kelly on April 20, 2018 @ 17:04:51
- Kelly on April 20, 2018 @ 17:04:46 [Autosave]
- Kelly on April 20, 2018 @ 17:01:02
- Kelly on April 20, 2018 @ 16:57:57
This post was created by Kelly Johnson on April 20, 2018.