Virtual learning is a learning experience that is enhanced through utilizing computers and/or the internet both outside and inside the facilities of the educational organization. The instruction most commonly takes place in an online environment. The teaching activities are carried out online whereby the teacher and learners are physically separated (in terms of place, time, or both).
- Virtual learning can be defined as distance learning conducted in a virtual learning environment with electronic study content designed for self-paced (asynchronous) or live web-conferencing (synchronous) online teaching and tutoring.
- The COVID-19 has resulted in schools shut all across the world. As a result, education has changed dramatically, with the distinctive rise of e-learning, whereby teaching is undertaken remotely and on digital platforms.
- About two in 10 U.S. school districts have already adopted, plan to adopt or are considering adopting virtual learning after the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new RAND Corporation study.
- In districts where at least 50 percent of students are Black or Hispanic/Latino or at least 50 percent of students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch rate, leaders continued to rank fundamentals like internet and technology access as greatest needs. Leaders of the remaining districts more heavily emphasized student mental health and high-quality instructional resources rate as greatest needs. (eSchool News, January 2021)
- Virtual School Counseling FAQs (from ASCA)
- Q: What virtual platform is your school using to deliver education to your students that have opted to remain virtual instead of in person? Edmentum, Edgenuity, Other?
- A: Edmentum to those students who failed 3 more classes 1st semester and Google Classroom provided by the teacher to the other E-Learning students.
- Q: What are you and your SpEd staff doing to keep students with disabilities on track (academically and emotionally/behaviorally) that have chosen your school’s virtual option? Are you having success with what you are doing?
- Q: How is everyone handling e-learning with their students? Does anyone have any creative ideas to share to support our students during this very stressful time?
- A: Google Classroom has an Amazing site. Especially for Art. Some of our teachers are using that others are using Youtube and still others are using Schoology there is a whole video section in Schoology that you can open and record. Also, Quicktime is another option.
- A: A few of our teachers are using Google hangouts to chat with students and allow them to chat with each other. Topics of discussion are not educational and more a check in on how things are going.
- I am using zoom.com to do virtual morning meetings and SEL lessons. I am also using getepic.com to access online books. I can show the books with zoom.com. Both of these resources are free right now. I have asked a question in the video and have invited students to send me their response through posting on the video, email, or Google voice. I even had one family video their child’s response. It was so cute. It is a great way to stay connected.
- Some counselors have been using FlipGrid – https://info.flipgrid.com/ –
in a similar way. They have free accounts for educators too, I believe.
- Resources for grad students and K-12 (from ASCA Scene, March 2020)
- Virtual School Counseling Lessons and Tools Community: Share lessons, ideas and resources on ASCA SCENE in the Virtual School Counseling Lessons and Tools community and library. (This community is open to both members and nonmembers.)
- Virtual School Counseling Offices
- Here is a great playlist from PATINS with Five steps to making sure your Bitmoji classroom is accessible
- Resources and Links from ASCA – access them here. Links to COVID-19-related resources, a list of digital tools, remote lesson ideas, and free resources to assist in virtual school counseling.
- Virtual Career/Postsecondary Counseling Resources
- Virtual Career Planning for Middle School
- Virtual College Application Boot Camp resource complete with virtual admission rep panels, financial aid video clips produced by INvestEd, virtual college essay presentations, Class of 2020 student perspectives, and more. To maintain the integrity of the files, you are only able to view the files from this link. If you wish to download or manipulate any of the files, you’ll need to make a copy and save them in your own Google Drive (from Carmel High School)
- Kuder Galaxy PK-5th College and Career Lessons (made for parents but could be used by the school counselor
- Galaxy Curriculum PK-5th College and Career Lessons
- DreamWalkers Daily video series – very short videos from professionals in various fields
- Nepris – live Virtual Industry Chats and Video Library (for a virtual career fair)
- Construction careers – Getting Started in Construction videos and Explore Construction Careers Trading Cards
- Career One Stop, the U.S. Department of Labor’s career exploration tool
Google Expeditions, virtual field trips and AR experiences
- You Visit – virtual 3D tours for colleges all over the US even includes sample sporting events at the colleges so kids can get an idea of what that’s like.
- Using Indiana Career Explorer for a virtual career fair
- Virtual Learning/e-Learning Resources
- Zoom Classroom Activities (3-6)
- Moving School Counseling Online – Tips from Virtual School Counselors – Resources
- Indiana Virtual Academy Online Learning
- Free Learning Tools for e-Learning – courtesy of Calvalyn Day
- Virtual Educator Survival Guide and Virtual Educator Survival Guide Facebook page– courtesy of Stephanie Austin, Indiana Connections Academy
- How to create an editable worksheet on your school’s Google Classroom, or Google Site
- Guide to distance learning with free access to Kahoot! Premium
- Zoom Etiquette
- Zoom Virtual Backgrounds – Want a school-counselor-related virtual background to use on your Zoom calls? Download a collection from ASCA here. Don’t know how to use a virtual background? Instructions are here.
- Summer School from Indiana Online. Find more information as well as their Summer School Partnership Agreement https://drive.google.com/file/
d/1q7bR- MXinaH4ZAPgTMAtqDsq6sF1YmZp/ view?usp=sharing, and on their Summer School Communication Kit https://indianaonline.org/ summer-school/
- Ice breakers and games for virtual groups (from Sources of Strength)
- Virtual “spirit week” from Union Township Middle School
Social-Emotional Learning Resources
- The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) has designed the Happiness Class for Secondary Students as a resource for social-emotional learning for grades six -12. This online class, based on the PERMAP Model of Happiness adapted from Dr. Martin Seligman, will help students develop an awareness of the importance of their own personal happiness. Students will learn simple strategies to monitor and regulate emotional wellbeing and help manage stress. This class is self-paced, and students will be able to use lessons learned to improve their overall level of happiness: https://www.doe.in.gov/covid-
- Kuder has put together for At-Home Learning Resources. You will find great tools on the page for Social Emotional Learning and also Anti-Racism & Equity resources for use with Elementary, Middle & High School and College level students.
- Virtual Social-Emotional Learning resources
- Second Step COVID 19 website link – free videos to link on your Google Classroom, school blog, or Google Site, or school WordPress
- COPING with CHANGE series. This worksheet (School’s Out!) is designed to help kids who are out of school for an extended period of time. A fillable worksheet which allows students to click and type without needing to print (from Mylemarks)
- GoNoodle.com – mindfulness and motion videos (free)
- Virtual Relaxation Room – sand tray video and a virtual sand tray app
- Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19 (infographic)
CONTACT TOPIC MANAGER
This is a ‘do it ourselves’ web site. So if you would like to help, or have information or resources to share, please contact us today.
- Kelly on January 28, 2021 @ 16:44:42
- Kelly on January 28, 2021 @ 16:34:30
- Kelly on January 28, 2021 @ 16:19:16
This post was created by UZ ContentManager on January 28, 2021.